Reusing yeast after brewing a smoked porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can I do it?

I have a Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale) which based on the description just screams to be used in a porter, but I need to get a smoked beer on tap because I'm craving it big time. However, I'd really like to use this yeast one more time after the porter is done.

Is the yeast going to pick up too much smoked characteristics to even be worth using again? Will washing it afterwards help this?

I'm not very versed in washing yeast and all that so I thought I'd pose the question.

Damn, I cleaned out my fermenter after brewing a smoked beer and never noted if it smelled overly smokey...

You could consider simply your third batch being an "etither/or" batch...After the smoked beer you could pitch a SMaSH or something on it not caring either way whether or not any smoke comes through. You might end up with something with a hint of smoke in it, too much or nothing at all...

If the smoke came through too much, letting it sit for awhile would let it fade away....

I don't know about washing, either. I salvaged the Wyeast Northwest ale yeast from a spiced ale and used it without residual flavour in a subsequent batch of IPA. I took it off the secondary. I was wondering about it, but didn't detect any spice off-flavours when I pitched it in my starter. I'd say keep it and see what it looks like come next brew day - with the backup of a new Wyeast starter pack in the fridge!

Latest posts

Back