Reusing star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp89

Reaction score
Can star san hold up for multiple uses? I was planning on filling up a bucket with about 2.5 gallons of star san and just keeping it for soaking small items while I'm brewing and sanitizing my auto siphon and hose by just recirculating the star san through it in that bucket. After one use like that would it still be good or would I need to dump it?

Star San needs to contact all surfaces for 30seconds, it just needs to touch the surfaces, it don't need total immersion, so I use a spray bottle just one litre, it goes on everything, all the equipment, the counter surface, even my sink and drainer. It is really a low budget item used this way.

You can pour it right back in whatever container you had it in and use it again. I can't tell you how many times you can re-use it. I stretch a gallon's worth for many uses until it dwindles and I finally say, Ok, time to make a new batch.

This is assuming that it is just being used to sanitize, it is not meant to be a cleaner. For doing what your using it for, I would use the same solution 4-5 times.

If you want to keep it around for a while, you need to use RO or distilled water. Once the water turns cloudy its time to through it out. I rinse out orange juice bottles and add star san to them. I pull out enough to sanitize or dip stuff in. It lasts for months.

But when I sanitize big things and make 2.5 gallons in a bucket I use tap water. In a day or two it is cloudy and is no longer any good.

Question: After one use like that would it still be good or would I need to dump it?

Answer: StarSan can be reused. It's an acidic cleaner. Once the pH rises above 3, it should be replaced. Color or cloudiness is not an appropriate indicator of potency. (per Five Star Chemicals - makers of StarSan)

I keep a gallon Simply Orange Juice jug full of it in the Brewhouse to use for all sorts of things.

I prep a small bucket of StarSan for use on brew day.

I also keep a spray bottle of StarSan handy.

There's a sticky titled "Charlie Talley (Five-Star Chemicals) Notes from Brewcasts" at the top of this forum that has all the info from one of the founders of the company that makes StarSan....

I get confidence by using a teasing strip every now and then to make sure it's below 3.5ph. I found that it goes cloudy from my tap water straight away, but if I boil and cool the same water it then stays clear.

Answer: StarSan can be reused. It's an acidic cleaner. Once the pH rises above 3, it should be replaced. Color or cloudiness is not an appropriate indicator of potency. (per Five Star Chemicals - makers of StarSan)

You got that from Five Star? That’s just wrong.

As long as the solution is clear and the pH is below 3.5 it will kill, how long this is will depend on the amount of times used and how clean the equipment was when sanitized.
- Charlie Talley
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/news/newsletter_summer_2007.htm

The official answer is that Star San solutions should be clear and a pH below 3.5.

If you used Distilled water the solution would not turn cloudy. The product can react with hard water and turn cloudy. The Minerals in the water can react with the anionic portion of the star san and cause it to go bad. Yes, when this happens you should consider making a fresh solution. The cloudiness usually forms after a dwell time or when people try and store the solution for multiple weeks. If this is the case then, yes always start with a fresh solution.

Jon Herskovits
Five Star

Says:
Part Soaking: Use 1 ounce of STAR SAN per 5 gallons of water. Parts must have contact with solution for
30 seconds and put on wet. When solution begins to cloud, sweeten with Star San or Phosphoric Acid.
Solution must remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level.

And also:
Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a
potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San
per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute
immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches
from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all
applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute.
Do not rinse after Star San application.

So, if it's cloudy, you need to add more starsan or phosphoric acid.
If I tossed every batch that was cloudy, I would never have have any.
I mix a 5 gal batch and use it for weeks. I also use a spray bottle, and have never had an infection.
I have to admit, that is the first time I've ever read "allow to air dry".

this whole thing about starsan not being good if it's cloudy is news to me. I've never seen a clear solution of starsan that I've made up, it's cloudy the moment I mix it. I've also never had an infection, so either it's doing it's job despite being cloudy, or I'm REALLY lucky. I usually mix up a batch and keep it for a month or so, re-using it where possible (ie siphon some into the fermentor, shake for a minute or two, then dump back into my storage bucket). I've never had a problem.

Back