Returning to brewing after a few years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So, in 2010 I had a son, and in 2011, I had a daughter, so I have basically taken two and a half years off from brewing. I have a decent all grain setup that includes keggles and a cooler MLT, a nice march pump enclosure, etc. A few months ago I almost sold it all......but I just couldn't do it. I have a few questions-

-I have about 100# of various bulk grain that has been sitting in home depot buckets for the last two and a half years. What's the story on this stuff? It still looks clean and tastes OK.
-Star San. I have about a quart of it and it is still clear. How does this stuff do on the shelf?
-Part of my brew day process was to use a paint strainer bag as a hop bag. It worked great but something I never thought of before is there any worry about any type of chemicals or flavors being released from the bag over a 60m boil?

Ummm, thats about it I think. I might take apart the old march pump to make sure it is nice and clean. I ran star san through it when I was done last time, so hopefully there wont be any thing living in the pump head :cross:

If the grain looks and tastes ok, brew with it. Uncrushed grain can last a long time if stored dry and cool. I wouldn't use 2 year old star san even if it was clear, but if you have pH strips, as long as the pH is lower than 3, it's still perfectly usable. Hop bags are just fine- nothing to worry about there.

Sounds like you're ready to brew! Get going!

If the grain looks and tastes ok, brew with it. Uncrushed grain can last a long time if stored dry and cool. I wouldn't use 2 year old star san even if it was clear, but if you have pH strips, as long as the pH is lower than 3, it's still perfectly usable. Hop bags are just fine- nothing to worry about there.

Sounds like you're ready to brew! Get going!

Yea tomorrow is the plan. I use to only brew with one burner, which was OK, but a PITA, but I scored a second burner, so finally, after brewing for several years, I should be able to brew without having to pick up keggle with liquid in them (i would have to swap the BK and HLT after sparging.

I have to go to my LHBS for hops and yeast, hopefully they will have PH strips that offer the entire scale. Last time I bought strips they only had "beer range."

Grains will probably work. I would use it up ASAP though. Hard to thow away that kind of $.

If your StarSan is in a diluted solution, I would chuck it. If you have a quart of the undiluted, just make up a new dilution.

The paint strainer bag works great for hops containment during a boil. I've used them for BIAB in the past, and have tried them in the boil with hops 3 or 4 times now. No issues.

Grains will probably work. I would use it up ASAP though. Hard to thow away that kind of $.

If your StarSan is in a diluted solution, I would chuck it. If you have a quart of the undiluted, just make up a new dilution.

The paint strainer bag works great for hops containment during a boil. I've used them for BIAB in the past, and have tried them in the boil with hops 3 or 4 times now. No issues.

I have never noticed an off flavor from them either, my main worry is that they are not designed for boiling temps or food for that matter.

I'm sure they weren't designed for food or boiling temps. But seem to work well just the same. There are several types of nylon, but all melt above 400F. Not sure about nylon being food grade, but I didn't see anything in a quick search to say it was not.

Having two burners makes it a lot easier. Like yourself, I was not brewing for a while, but now I have a brew stand and enjoy not lifting hot wort.

I'm sure they weren't designed for food or boiling temps. But seem to work well just the same. There are several types of nylon, but all melt above 400F. Not sure about nylon being food grade, but I didn't see anything in a quick search to say it was not.

Yea I know they wont melt, but I am more worried about them leaching some kind of nasty chemical.

Back