Retiring plastic equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnchunk

Reaction score
So when is it time to retire plastic brewing equipment? It came up in another thread for a minute about how some people retire buckets after 15 or so batches. I've ditched tubing once it picks up a color because it's cheap - but now I'm looking at my ale pale and it picked up some color from my last batch.

I haven't had any infection either - it's just discoloring the plastic. I was thinking along the lines of like a Tupperware bowl where you put like tomato soup in. The color never comes out but doesn't impact whatever else goes in there. Is beer more sensitive to off flavor or aroma than say my chicken salad?

Am I just digging for an excuse to get new toys?

I'm still using my original pails after 8 years. If there is any residue or color, I bleach them.

I replace tubing that gets discolored and o-rings that show any cracks or when the color rubs off.

Some people buy a new car at 50,000 miles and some run them into the ground...
Different strokes for different folks. Personally I don't see a need to replace a bucket once you get to X number of batches. If you aren't getting any funky off flavors or infections, why spend the money?

I haven't retired my Ale Pale, it has just been benched because I switched to glass and Better Bottles. While buckets are cheap, I see no reason to trash anything that still serves a purpose.

And even if you think scratches will ruin a fermenter, all you have to do is take care of it and prevent those scratches.

Tubing on the other hand is really cheap, if it starts looking funky, I'll trash it. But I still don't have a schedule that I use.

The main reason that plastic fermenters become questionable as they age is the potential for scratches that may harbor bacteria that sanitizers can't kill. Whether or not you should be concerned about it depends on how you treat the fermenter. If you never let anything but plastic-safe cleaners and a cleaning cloth, or a plastic spoon or siphon to touch the inside surface, there's no reason you can't use it for many years.

I can't imagine that any staining that might result from normal sanitizing or brewing procedures would cause a problem with off-flavors, but I could be wrong.

If you never put anything in your ail pale that may cause a scratch, it will never get scratched. What are people putting in ail pales that scratches them? Brillo pads? Bleaching once in a while and rinsing thoroughly is a good idea. Then, sanitize with starsan before use.

Back