Resume input for entry level brewery position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbank

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm putting a résumé together for brewery asst. position at a local brewery. I have no professional brewing experience. I have been all grain brewing at home for 4 years. Anything you guys can think of that might look good on a resume?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Make sure you mention how much you like to clean things, and how much you love being physically active and can lift 75 pounds easily. :D

Because they don't really care if you're a great brewer, just that you can follow directions as well as have a passion for brewing and are a hard worker.

Wow good stuff right there.

I would add "prefer long hours" and doesn't mind hot and humid environment.

You might also put under your salary requirement.....minimum wage.

able to lift 75lbs and move 165lb, an immense attention to detail with sanitation. I wish you all the luck in the world sir but if you want my advice I would say go find a place to volunteer and get the experience, Also siebel wouldn't hurt. If you look on probrewer the things they look for most is
cip
sop
raw materials handling
wort production
whirlpool/ knockout
filtration
bottling/ kegging
etc

Thanks for the input everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Best of luck in your application!

There are about 15 breweries in my area, and I'm very active in the craft beer community, so I'm friends with most of the brewers around town. I'll tell you from my experience that the BEST way to get a paying brewery position is to volunteer at a brewery or two first.

One of the larger local breweries recently had an assistant brewer position open up, and they received about 30 applications. Of those 30, only 8 had prior professional brewing experience. The job ended up going to a guy who had learned a ton about brewing and the business (this is key) through about 18 months of volunteering at two other local breweries, followed by a assistant brewing position for 6 months at the second brewery he had volunteered for (a small microbrewery). This is the typical path for about 80% of all entry level brewers. The other 20% go through a program like Siebel. I've never seen a homebrewer transition straight to a professional brewing job unless they started their own brewery.

Also, like some others said, be prepared to make very low wages. Expect literally about $8-9 an hour as an assistant brewer, and may only get part time hours. Most of the head brewers at the microbreweries here make about $26-28K. Neither get benefits of any kind. You really have to move to a big regional or statewide brewery before you make any money.

Hope that gives you some good information, and best of luck in your endeavor!

Back