residual sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stann

Reaction score
so if we know the abv and FG , say 14%abv, FG = 0.990, let 0.8 = gravity ethanol

0.14 x 0.8 = 0.112
+
0.86 x 1 = 0.86

~= 0.972

but FG is 0.990

does the difference, 0.018, give us RS(residual sugar)?

also, a cider brew at 14%abv should have lower ending gravity than one of 7-8%, providing the yeast can handle the alcohol, right?

Both a 7% and 14% cider will ferment to ~0.998-1.000. They'll start at different original gravities, but the yeast will take them both down to totally dry, no residual sugar, given the ABV doesn't surpass the yeast's alcohol limit.

I don't quite follow your math in the first post.

Both a 7% and 14% cider will ferment to ~0.998-1.000. They'll start at different original gravities, but the yeast will take them both down to totally dry, no residual sugar, given the ABV doesn't surpass the yeast's alcohol limit.

I don't quite follow your math in the first post.
0.14 and 0.86 are the relative proportions of alcohol / water in the wine. 0.8 and 1.0 are the gravities of each. so i try to calculate the gravity of the wine with literally zero sugars. i'm assuming the difference is residual sugar (0.990 - 0.972), but i'm not sure, although there will be 'some' sugar, not zero i assume.

i hope someone is gonna correct me, i don't want to have this right now
trying to make low carbohydrate.

If I go into the lab and mix 13.8% absolute ethanol with 86.2% distilled water it will have a specific gravity of 0.9724. 5.3% ethanol in water will be 0.9894. How much sugar is in each of those solutions? I don't think you can do what you're trying to do without more data than just final gravity and ABV.

Last edited:
If I go into the lab and mix 13.8% absolute ethanol with 86.2% distilled water it will have a specific gravity of 0.9724. 5.3% ethanol in water will be 0.9894. How much sugar is in each of those solutions? I don't think you can do what you're trying to do without more data than just final gravity and ABV.
i was looking to see why though. you calculated yourself sg for water and ethanol. so if final gravity is higher why can't we assume the difference is mostly due to residual sugar? and that difference gives a measure of the sugar?

so if final gravity is higher why can't we assume the difference is mostly due to residual sugar?
Because sugar and alcohol are not the only things that contribute to specific gravity?

Did you read the thread I posted a link to? Do you know what the original gravity of your cider was?

Because sugar and alcohol are not the only things that contribute to specific gravity?

Did you read the thread I posted a link to? Do you know what the original gravity of your cider was?
sorry, i missed that post i will read now (yes, i did seek generally and couldn't find)

Last edited:

yes, i have og = 1.103
for imperial, those equations give me around 22.4grams sugar per liter
that's better than 46. still higher than i'd hoped for what i was led to believe would be bone dry cider.
but many thanks

If your OG was 1.103, then your ABV is actually closer to 15% than 14%. What is the nominal alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used?

If your OG was 1.103, then your ABV is actually closer to 15% than 14%. What is the nominal alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used?
i don't know that. it was part of a wine kit. a youngs cabernet sauvignon or something.
yes, you're right, i was trying to determine a formula to understand what sugar/carbohydrates are in the finished wine. i was assuming the tolerance is higher than final abv

i don't know that. it was part of a wine kit. a youngs cabernet sauvignon or something.

Without the OG, how did you determine that the ABV is 14%? If the answer is "that's what the kit said it would be", I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

I don't know if it's always safe to assume that any given yeast will ferment all the way to it's stated alcohol tolerance. Your apparent attenuation is >100% but your actual attenuation is <90%. Did you use any nutrients?

I don't know if it's always safe to assume that any given yeast will ferment all the way to it's stated alcohol tolerance. Your apparent attenuation is >100% but your actual attenuation is <90%. Did you use any nutrients?
yes. some cheapo youngs stuff. and the yeast package had some nutrients.
but i heard others say fg of 0.990 is kinda best case ish. just seems like quite a lot of sugar left but not sure if another yeast will do much.

Without the OG, how did you determine that the ABV is 14%? If the answer is "that's what the kit said it would be", I wouldn't necessarily count on it.
ah! vikeman....you posted the apparent/real attenuation equations....is it giving per imperial gallon or US?

((QuasiFG -1) x 1000) / 46.21 = Lbs Sugar Per Gallon Approximate
thread link

Back