Advanced Pearsons Square … math people wanted :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
So - i know how to use the pearsons square - easy. I am looking for a more advanced method of calculating multiple parameters at once ... hope there are some brew-science people out there with the formulas i am looking for.

Say I have a cyser-mead of SG 1,030 and ABV of 12%. I want to fortify it to around 19-22% ABV, and I want to make it FG 1,020. I will fortify with 40% ABV SG 1,000 (no residual sugar) apple-brandy. The issue with the pearsons square, is that it can only handle a single parameter at a time - so I have to aim for either gravity or ABV. Of course, I could use the pearson square to hit 20% ABV --- and then afterwards figure out what the FG is. And the just go back and forth on the pearson square until I am happy with the result.

...Even more advanced example would be handling mixing TWO brews and the brandy ... say I have a Ice-cider of ABV 14% and SG of 1.032 and a semi-dry cyser of 11% ABV and SG 1.008. I want a fortified brew of FG 1.016 and ABV of 18-22%. How would I mix the two brews and brandy to get this result ? Again ... I could go back on forth on the pearson square, but there must be a simpler way...

Is there any way (pearsons square or other way) to do this calculation all at once ? Perhaps like a 'function' graph in excel or something?

(the above example is just a hypothetical to illustrate the issue and what I am looking for)

... I know this is getting pretty nerdy; but hope there are someone out there with a good answer :)

thx/Sean

This may work for you when entered into a spreadsheet.

pearson square.png

Back