Requesting input on which hop to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
So I am going to restock my hop inventory for the year and am looking to buy a pound of some hop variety. As of now I have a new pound of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra. In storage around 4 oz: Simcoe, Amarillo, Nelson as well as 8 oz of Columbus.

I brew mostly IPAs, NEIPAs and hoppy cream ales. I was looking at buying a lb of Enigma but for $30 idk. Maybe I should go with good old centennial or stay put. Thoughts?

I've heard good things about Denali.

Hops like Crystal and Willamette are good to blend in with late hop additions or dry hops.

Apollo is really great for adding dank characters to your beer - I love Tropical flavors that are rounded out by some dankness.

EKG is awesome in porters and stouts, any English style really.

A high AA bittering hop is always necessary, hops like Warrior and Nugget come to mind.

Idaho 7 / Golden Hop is awesome, one of my best beers was a Rye IPA with a 1:1 mix of Columbus and Idaho 7 for late additions and dry hopping.

Can't go wrong with Centennial it's tried and true for all American styles.

There's always Cascade which is one that may be boring to a lot of us but if you're brewing for a wider audience than yourself most people find Cascade to be pleasant.

:mug:

I would say go for Enigma. I will soon be brewing a Session IPA where Enigma will be the main player, along other hops.

If you are looking for ideas on which hops to try/buy: Ella, Topaz, Vic Secret, Loral, Wai-Ti and basically any NZ/Australian variety. :)

I have been leaning towards centennial just to make the two hearted clone and switch up from the tropical fruit hops. But, enigma sure is enticing.

@aprichman how would u describe Idaho 7?

If I were to go down the Denali path, I would pair it with Cashmere to make a pino colada ipa??? But, is that kinda like a Hawaiian pizza, something that is there, but it’s just so wrong...

Last edited:
I will have a bit of Idaho 7 in my Session IPA with Enigma, but I am unsure what it will bring. Hopefully, lots of citrus with a bit of resin.

I've used Denali once and it went well with the other " tropical fruit " hops, in a NEIPA style beer. It pairs well with Citra, Azacca, Mosaic.

I have been leaning towards centennial just to make the two hearted clone and switch up from the tropical fruit hops. But, enigma sure is enticing.

@aprichman how would u describe Idaho 7?

If I were to go down the Denali path, I would pair it with Cashmere to make a pino colada ipa??? But, is that kinda like a Hawaiian pizza, something that is there, but it’s just so wrong...

It reminds me of Mosaic but with more citrus, less tropical fruit, and just a touch of noble spice.

So I am going to restock my hop inventory for the year and am looking to buy a pound of some hop variety. As of now I have a new pound of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra. In storage around 4 oz: Simcoe, Amarillo, Nelson as well as 8 oz of Columbus.

I brew mostly IPAs, NEIPAs and hoppy cream ales. I was looking at buying a lb of Enigma but for $30 idk. Maybe I should go with good old centennial or stay put. Thoughts?

This hop right here:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/hbc-342-experimental-hops-pellets.html

I’ve only made over the top hoppy pale ales with it as a sort of intro to IPAs for those who don’t quite like the super hoppiness. I target 45 IBUs at 5.5% and then also do a small whirlpool and dry hop, in essence a neutered IPA. And this has been amazing as a single hop type beer! I highly recommend it as a stand alone type hop as I’ve never tried mixing it with others.

This hop right here:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/hbc-342-experimental-hops-pellets.html

I’ve only made over the top hoppy pale ales with it as a sort of intro to IPAs for those who don’t quite like the super hoppiness. I target 45 IBUs at 5.5% and then also do a small whirlpool and dry hop, in essence a neutered IPA. And this has been amazing as a single hop type beer! I highly recommend it as a stand alone type hop as I’ve never tried mixing it with others.
Is that the jolly rancher hop?

Is that the jolly rancher hop?

That’s what they were saying years ago. I had bought 3 oz but hadn’t used them. Saw that and freaked out a little. I love the watermelon Jolly Ranchers but didn’t think I’d care for it in my beer. But asking questions here others said otherwise about it being like that. So I bought several more ounces and made that first pale ale and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing like the candy in my few brews.

From MoreBeer’s description which I find fairly accurate:

“It's aroma can be described as mild, pleasant, citrusy, and tropical, with some melon notes as well.”

That’s what they were saying years ago. I had bought 3 oz but hadn’t used them. Saw that and freaked out a little. I love the watermelon Jolly Ranchers but didn’t think I’d care for it in my beer. But asking questions here others said otherwise about it being like that. So I bought several more ounces and made that first pale ale and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing like the candy in my few brews.

From MoreBeer’s description which I find fairly accurate:

“It's aroma can be described as mild, pleasant, citrusy, and tropical, with some melon notes as well.”
Thanks for the info!

For sure!

Curious if you are interested in it. Wish they’d just name it as it’s been out for more than 5 years by now. I’m a bit concerned it might vanish.

Yakima Valley Hops has 2016 Jarrylo for $5/lb and 2017 NZ Rakau for $19/lb. Both are 10.7% AA and work well together; Jarrylo for inexpensive bittering and flavor additions, Rakau for late addition, whirlpool, and dry hopping. These are both fantastic fruit-centric hops and work in a lot of different styles. I'm fermenting two SMASH IPA batches right now to compare/contrast their flavors. Check them out.

Back