Request: Bud Light Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have testes several different yeasts and 34/70 is my pick. S-23 would dry it out, but seemed to leave behind a tad bid of green apple no matter what I did, in any other beer it wouldn't be noticeable. I ferment around 50F and bring it to room temp either before or after lagering. I lager for a couple of weeks usually, I carb it up pretty heavy, but the head always lingers around too long, maybe too much protein left in the final beer.

S-23 may be a good choice really. One defining part of the Budweiser profile is a hint of Acetaldehyde, though it's really really subtle.

Ok, so here is what I got so far that I will try:
1.5# us 2-row
1.5# 6-row
3.3# flaked rice
OG 1.036
WL833 since I will lager
.5oz will
.5oz hallertau
Will add ameyles and Irish moss as well as fining with gelatin.

Water profile will be soft, probably the Munich boiled provided earlier, might cut with some distilled. I don't have base water report yet, deciding what water I will use that needs to be modified as little as possible.

I am considering doing a little hops like .1oz at flame out, and a little dry hop too, maybe .5oz.

What you guys think so far?

Ok, so here is what I got so far that I will try:
1.5# us 2-row
1.5# 6-row
3.3# flaked rice
OG 1.036
WL833 since I will lager
.5oz will
.5oz hallertau
Will add ameyles and Irish moss as well as fining with gelatin.

Water profile will be soft, probably the Munich boiled provided earlier, might cut with some distilled. I don't have base water report yet, deciding what water I will use that needs to be modified as little as possible.

I am considering doing a little hops like .1oz at flame out, and a little dry hop too, maybe .5oz.

What you guys think so far?

Use RO (reverse osmosis) water as a blank canvas and build it to the profile you want.

RO water is 39c/gallon here in Walmart and Kroger. Mine clocks in at 2ppm TDS (total dissolved solids). That means it's just as useful as distilled water for brewers' purposes, at a fraction of the cost.

I'd wait to see what your FG turns out to be before adding any amylase to the fermentor. You may not need any if you mash it correctly and the FG is already where it needs to be. I'd play that bit by ear.

S-23 may be a good choice really. One defining part of the Budweiser profile is a hint of Acetaldehyde, though it's really really subtle.
This .. once you get a clean ferment you get Coors. You need the apple back in it to make it Bud.

Also, consider if you are a "3.2 ABV" state or not. If so you are almost definitely looking at a diluted product.

Good luck. It will likely take more than a few batches to get there but you will learn and it will make you a better brewer. If you can make Bud well, you can make anything.

I think Utah state law has a limit on ABV, and their bud is in the 3% range... I want to say I saw it on Drinking Made Easy or another show.

I think Utah state law has a limit on ABV, and their bud is in the 3% range... I want to say I saw it on Drinking Made Easy or another show.
That's how I remembered it as well, although a quick Google shows me it is by weight there ... being 4.054% ABV. Still, it is diluted to that level (whether pre or post ferment) since standard Bud light is 4.2% ABV (3.315% ABW).

The point is, this is a lighter beer than mentioned earlier in this thread.

That's how I remembered it as well, although a quick Google shows me it is by weight there ... being 4.054% ABV. Still, it is diluted to that level (whether pre or post ferment) since standard Bud light is 4.2% ABV (3.315% ABW).

The point is, this is a lighter beer than mentioned earlier in this thread.

The main thing I took away from that episode was to never live in Utah...:tank:

Now I just moved to keg and I am pretty stupid as to my options with keg. Can I carbonate with wort in keg? I had planned to force carb for 2 days then a week at about 10-12psi (AFTER lagering).. or just 10-12psi and let it slow carb while lagering...... My keger sits at about 33f so I figured my standard running temp was perfect for the lager. Feedback on this?

Slow carb while lagering, sometime a quick carb cab leave a bite.

I see your recipe is about 50% rice to malt that might be a bit a high, you will also need a bunch of rice hulls to keep it from getting stuck.

You might want to use wlp840 american lager yeast, instead of the wlp833. I used it recently and it seemed to clear faster than wlp833.

I should have said the S-23 produced unacceptable levels of green apple flavors.

The .1 oz at flameout is probably fine, but a half oz of dry hop is going to be WAY over doing it.

IMG_3680.jpg

Jim's Bud light Clone
5.5 gal into fermentor
7 lbs Munich Malt 10L
7 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Oats
.5 lb Crystal 80L

Mash 156 1 hour

3 oz Cascade 60 min
2 oz Cascade 5 Min

Nottingham yeast 60F 5 weeks... yep Bud Light you can add oak chips to taste.

Jim's Bud light Clone
5.5 gal into fermentor
7 lbs Munich Malt 10L
7 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Oats
.5 lb Crystal 80L

Mash 156 1 hour

3 oz Cascade 60 min
2 oz Cascade 5 Min

Nottingham yeast 60F 5 weeks... yep Bud Light you can add oak chips to taste.

Doesnt seem close to me at all.

For BL, Id stick more to 2 row and or 6 row with some flaked rice (the key) and german hops.

Miller uses Cascade, but the grain bill is completely different.

Still I think you won't get close without a good filtration system. IMO, no matter how good gelatin does it still doesn't produce the taste results of a filtered beer. With gelatin no matter how clear it gets there will still be yeast in suspension. Yeast to me has an easily detectable flavor. I just wish there was a better filtration system available for homebrewers

So I brewed last night, the recipe I posted. Hit my target OG of 1.036 exactly. I gave my rice an extra 10 min at 140f and did a grain bed stir at 30 min into mash.
I did make a mistake though, my fermentation ran too hot as I set my inkbird accidentally to 72f. Dialed that back a few minutes ago, hope the temp drops fast and no stall.

Well crap.. So my basement usually will allow my brews to sit at an easy 61-62f.. and we have a cold spell going on. However, I had accidently set my Inkbird to 72f and it was up there. I changed it before I left to about 62f but it looks like the temp is not dropping... ugh I might have to grab some ice when I get home :(

Feel free to watch the brew at my ghetto site that I have spent literally zero time with, just to create the live graphs and data at: https://sites.google.com/site/bobokisbrewery/announcements

Should be fun either way.

Yeah I know... it should be about 10f lower at least. I just looked at it looks like it is still going down slowly... ugh it needs to hurry I hope it does not kill the yeast.
I have a brewometer which ROCKS in there, there is a separate thread for it... still a pretty new product, a lot like the brew bug just much cheaper.

Ah yeah ... I'm following that thread too. One of these days I may pull the trigger.

I don't see any of the ups and downs some people are getting in their data. Looks like it's working pretty well.

If nothing else you will learn something from this batch. You should be able to get a good idea how close you were even with all the esters/fusels.

I should have said the S-23 produced unacceptable levels of green apple flavors.

The .1 oz at flameout is probably fine, but a half oz of dry hop is going to be WAY over doing it.

Funny. I made a light lager not too long ago and served at my BIL's Re-deployment party this weekend. I immediately noticed the Green Apple flavor and I used S-23 as well. Others said they really liked it and was amazed I made it myself.

I may try a liquid Lager yeast next time and build a massive starter.

I went WPL833 with a huge starter figuring that since I am lagering that would be the best bet. I will probably let it lager a solid 3-4 weeks as well while I guess I let it slow carb. My LBHS suggested I do WPL800 instead, but in the end I stuck with 833.

No worries about actually killing the yeast, lager can survive and reproduce in at least the low 90s, ale yeast can go much higher than that actually.

Hopefully it will cool down some more before fermentation really gets going, I'm thinking the impact to the flavor should be pretty minimal.

Well, she is looking good right now, down to a 1.008.. looks almost like it has stabilized.
Can I add the amaylase directly to the primary, or do I actually have to use a secondary for this? I dislike secondaries.

I would try a CAP, see if he goes for those.

Pils
Corn
Carapils

single hop add, keep it light IBU, go for a Champagne Velvet, Kentucky common, Cali common, bland hopless brew. Because it is me, and I think the best chance for bud light is an AMAZING lager process, ferm temp control, and pitch rate. so because I am not perfect I like wyeast 2112. But 2124 can't be bad. I have a father in law that ONLY like pilsners so every time he comes to the house I unfortunately only have hefeweizen, saison, flanders, and Belgians here. And I do that because I know he is coming, and I like seeing his face when he has to decide between a beer he can't stand or no beer at all...

I bought some Budweiser the other day (we were low on funds and I was out of homebrew). Got through one sip of a bottle and immediately felt cheated by the crappy taste.

Good luck with your clone man.

So an update, I have it lagering right now while slow carbing (8psi) so I will suffer through a side-by-side in probably 2 weeks. I can tell you it looks great so far (coming out of the cold crashed fermenter) SUPER light colored and it smelled just like ole standard horse piss. So my hopes are up that this is going to be pretty close and we will finally have a "close" clone... or at least as close as a scrub like me will get for awhile.

Now my next fear is if it does turn out good, am I going to be expected to make this a lot for him? I suppose as long as I am not buying all the mats for it then it's great exp each time, and maybe I can dial it in even more as I go... either way, there's the update for anyone actually interested in this thread.

Now my next fear is if it does turn out good, am I going to be expected to make this a lot for him? I suppose as long as I am not buying all the mats for it then it's great exp each time, and maybe I can dial it in even more as I go... either way, there's the update for anyone actually interested in this thread.[/QUOTE]

If he love it you will become his only supplier.

Thank you for the udate. It is interesting to follow you work.

So an update, I have it lagering right now while slow carbing (8psi) so I will suffer through a side-by-side in probably 2 weeks. I can tell you it looks great so far (coming out of the cold crashed fermenter) SUPER light colored and it smelled just like ole standard horse piss. So my hopes are up that this is going to be pretty close and we will finally have a "close" clone... or at least as close as a scrub like me will get for awhile.

Now my next fear is if it does turn out good, am I going to be expected to make this a lot for him? I suppose as long as I am not buying all the mats for it then it's great exp each time, and maybe I can dial it in even more as I go... either way, there's the update for anyone actually interested in this thread.

Thanks for sharing. I think it is very interesting what you are doing. Do you think you could post a side by side photo and maybe even your notes on the differences? Even more important, what does your girlfriends dad think?

Thanks for sharing. I think it is very interesting what you are doing. Do you think you could post a side by side photo and maybe even your notes on the differences? Even more important, what does your girlfriends dad think?

Yes, I will be be happy to do all the above. It sounds like I will bring some over to him this weekend, I just hope it has lagered enough.

Right, it uses lager yeast. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's lagered. It might be (I said I don't think it is; that isn't an absolute). At any rate, it isn't lagered long if it is lagered at all. Do you guys have any idea how fast they turn around a batch of Bud Light?

Latest posts

Back