Replanted hops plant, worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a hop plant spring up in my yard a three years ago. It's come back no problem in the spring the last 2 years, including this one. I decided to plant it in a large pot today. It's kind of wilted now. It was reasonably happy in the ground but I'd never really gotten much more than a couple feet of growth out of it. I'm assuming it's because it had nothing to grow up, as far as trellises or anything. Did I basically just kill my plant? I was very careful to dig up the roots and not break any off.

Am I worried for nothing? I watered the new soil and it is in good potting soil.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm betting worried for nothing unless you cut the root ball in half doffing it up.
2' vertical seems small. Did it grow out along the ground?

And now the leaves are crispy

14598381219251722127624.jpg

It looks like it might not have enough water. Plants can also have issues moving from one soil to the next. I recently moved two plants to bigger pots while mangling the roots but leaving the root ball mostly untouched. They are really hardy plants and one I really cut some roots off of has already hit the 5 foot mark. how often and how much do you water and fertilize them? I dont see any funny sports or weird colors so i dont think it is any disease. (I am at best a basic hobby gardener so take everything i am saying with a grain of salt please.)

It looks like it might not have enough water. Plants can also have issues moving from one soil to the next. I recently moved two plants to bigger pots while mangling the roots but leaving the root ball mostly untouched. They are really hardy plants and one I really cut some roots off of has already hit the 5 foot mark. how often and how much do you water and fertilize them? I dont see any funny sports or weird colors so i dont think it is any disease. (I am at best a basic hobby gardener so take everything i am saying with a grain of salt please.)

Previously it was getting water mostly only on brew days. It grew in my rocks where I dump everything. I watered it well after moving it to the pot. It didn't actually have a root ball to speak of. Everything was pretty spread out since it just kind of grew on its own and I dug up all the roots I could find. I fertilized it with Dr Q's vine and shrub about a month ago, when my yard started to show some green... It's definitely not diseased, like I said, was happy before transplanting.

Water it once a week. Vegas temps should be warm enough that it needs at least that. Maybe put some bone meal on top or fertilizer every two weeks and see how it goes. Treat it like a lawn and I bet you will be fine.

Previously it was getting water mostly only on brew days. It grew in my rocks where I dump everything. I watered it well after moving it to the pot. It didn't actually have a root ball to speak of. Everything was pretty spread out since it just kind of grew on its own and I dug up all the roots I could find. I fertilized it with Dr Q's vine and shrub about a month ago, when my yard started to show some green... It's definitely not diseased, like I said, was happy before transplanting.

i agree with what is said above. Hops love water. I live in Southern California and I water the darn thing all the time. The advantage you have with it in a pot is that the excess water will drain out the bottom so the roots won't rot. Water it until the water runs out of the bottom. Remember that this isn't some random plant we plant to fill up the yard, we want this to produce as much as it can.

I'd cut all the growth. It's still early and you should get new growth.

The advantage you have with it in a pot is that the excess water will drain out the bottom so the roots won't rot. Water it until the water runs out of the bottom. Remember that this isn't some random plant we plant to fill up the yard, we want this to produce as much as it can.

My thought is that the pot is not draining, and it may be rotting in the pot. If the soil is still damp after a couple of days, I think I'd move it to another pot.

One disadvanrage of a pot is that it has limited openings to drain, and if they get blocked, it will cause the plant to rot. Hops do not like to be in a wet area.

My thought is that the pot is not draining, and it may be rotting in the pot. If the soil is still damp after a couple of days, I think I'd move it to another pot.

One disadvanrage of a pot is that it has limited openings to drain, and if they get blocked, it will cause the plant to rot. Hops do not like to be in a wet area.

I don't think it's rotting, at the time of the first post it had been in the pot maybe 6 hours. I will keep this in mind though.

very true, i was assuming his pots were not clogged.

I just planted part of a root/plant that one of my friends cut off for me. I put it in the pot and fertilized/watered etc. Over the first couple weeks there was no growth and the end of the vines that were already attached started to wilt. Then one day when I got home from work I saw that the ends of the vines had new growth and they looked to be healthy. Now its growing away.

I wouldn't worry, I think the transition just shocks the plant a little.

I don't think it's rotting, at the time of the first post it had been in the pot maybe 6 hours. I will keep this in mind though.

Sorry, I missed that.

very true, i was assuming his pots were not clogged.

I had one do just that. It was basically gone - I planted it outside, and it eventually came back and gave me about 10 ozs wet the first year (~2 ozs dry). It ended up being my best of 4 plants, all in their first year.

Back