Replacing beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
All,
I have a standard kegerator with a dual faucet tower. I'm looking to replace my beer line, however there's not a lot of room in the tower to get tools or hands in there with the two faucets in there. I'm wondering what the easiest way to get the line replaced would be. Would it help to unscrew the large brass nut (if so anyone know what size those nuts are?) or do most people just try to replace the line in place?

expensive solution http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/tools-accessories-pid-D8ES-CB.html

or take a wrench and cut out a slot in it, cheaper way to go.

In my case I bought a cheap needle nose vise grip type tool from Harbor freight and am able to get the nut on and off pretty easily. I would not complain about having the right tool, but since I only do this once a year I figure I will be cheap.

I just put new beer line on a triple tower I bought. I took the brass nuts off using a pair of slip joint pliers

look to a pawn shop for a cheap box end wrench to fit and cut it like this one at micromatic.
D8JE-1.jpg

Figure out if yours is 1" or 1 1/16" works like a charm.

I use these sweet hose pliers to remove the old hose, and to pull the new hose on, I use spring clamps on the lines in the tower so its simple to replace the lines when needed. Being a mechanic has its advantages, mostly the nifty set of tools. some may think that $170 for some pliers is excessive, but it sure makes putting beer lines on a breeze!
I took the shanks apart and used worm clamps the first time I replaced the lines, what a pain that was! I can now replace both lines in about 5 minutes with my current setup.

hose-pliers.jpg

Back