How to replace this beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewhal

Reaction score
I recently bought a used kegerator, I am looking for a potential replacement for the beer line, but I realized the faucet is not a standard barb but rather uses some type of compression fitting

How can I replace the line? What kind of fitting will I need?

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_093029.jpg
    IMG_20230331_093029.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_093056.jpg
    IMG_20230331_093056.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_093100.jpg
    IMG_20230331_093100.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The problem you're having is that the kegerator is not using standard parts, at least not standard to what I have seen over the years. It wouldn't be too much money to replace the lines using EVA barrier or new vinyl beer lines. You will likely need a new shank too on the faucet side and ball lock connectors on the keg side. @Bobby_M can hook you up with everything you need at a good price. Check out Brewhardware.com. I suggest you call him so you order the right parts.

@Bobby_M can hook you up with everything you need at a good price. Check out Brewhardware.com. I suggest you call him so you order the right parts.
Not saying @Bobby_M can't help him, but the OP appears to live in Ontario, Canada. He should be able to source the correct parts there, once he knows what he needs.
Also, from the pix it looks the kegerator has a tower, so he would need tower shanks.

Not saying @Bobby_M can't help him, but the OP appears to live in Ontario, Canada. He should be able to source the correct parts there, once he knows what he needs.
Also, from the pix it looks the kegerator has a tower, so he would need tower shanks.
For vinyl
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/shanksstower.htm
For Duotight with EVBA Barrier
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/shanksstowerpush.htm
I suggested @Bobby_M because he helped him with a earlier thread about his kegerator. I didn't take notice to where the OP lived.

Make a list of everything you think you need before cutting into anything. At the very least with a used system all the beer lines should be replaced and give everything else a good cleaning. You might as well buy the best you can afford now then you'll be set for a long time.

BrewHardware is a great reference even if you can't purchase from Bobby - hopefully you can though.

Post questions here as we have them, we have all been there at one time, perhaps several times.

For vinyl
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/shanksstower.htm
For Duotight with EVBA Barrier
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/shanksstowerpush.htm
I suggested @Bobby_M because he helped him with a earlier thread about his kegerator. I didn't take notice to where the OP lived.
There are 90° tailpiece shanks too without needing the new shank. It would need a beer gasket and beer nut, but the OP also has a winged beer nut showing so if that winged nut spins in the tower just the gasket would be needed. I could swear I saw a 90° push-to-connect tailpiece somewhere but maybe it was a ptc shank adapter and a ptc 90. That might be a little longer than the barbed one I linked.

@abrewhal I recently picked up a single tap tower in a lot that I gifted to a friend. It had two of those 90s with out but the tubing was cut at about 15-20 cm. I was going to put them in the shipping box but I don't think they come apart and the tubing was dirty. You got me curious though so I hacksawed the connection off and lo and behold there are barbs under there.

1680281146382.jpeg

Thanks for the HU!
I didn't realize the OP had started 3 parallel threads, alas, with different issues, on the same kegerator.
Haha yeah... I didn't want to crowd a single thread with multiple issues (Separation of Concern)
Unfortunately I have no experience with kegerators or kegs and am a sucker for a good deal so here we are...

There are 90° tailpiece shanks too without needing the new shank. It would need a beer gasket and beer nut, but the OP also has a winged beer nut showing so if that winged nut spins in the tower just the gasket would be needed. I could swear I saw a 90° push-to-connect tailpiece somewhere but maybe it was a ptc shank adapter and a ptc 90. That might be a little longer than the barbed one I linked.

@abrewhal I recently picked up a single tap tower in a lot that I gifted to a friend. It had two of those 90s with out but the tubing was cut at about 15-20 cm. I was going to put them in the shipping box but I don't think they come apart and the tubing was dirty. You got me curious though so I hacksawed the connection off and lo and behold there are barbs under there.

View attachment 816497
That's really good to know, I ma consider cutting mine open as well if there's no other option, FYI the winged nut is connecting to the D-sanke coupler
This end is what connects to the faucet

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_130018.jpg
    IMG_20230331_130018.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_130517.jpg
    IMG_20230331_130517.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_093029.jpg
    IMG_20230331_093029.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Not to add any confusion, but are you planning on serving beer from the tower taps? The reason I ask is if you planned on piping the beer in the different fashion that could help determine the parts you'd need. My taps are built into a back bar. The beer tubing passes through a wall from the cooler to the taps.

A similar thing could be fashioned from a wooden box that the taps are mounted into and that could sit on top of your kegerator.
Something like this:
1680283049335.png

If you cut yours open to reveal a barbed fitting then you would be able to reuse the entire faucet side of the line. Install the new beer line onto the barb and use a worm clamp to secure it. On the keg size, install ball lock connectors as @Bobby_M detailed in his video.

Last edited:
That's really good to know, I ma consider cutting mine open as well if there's no other option, FYI the winged nut is connecting to the D-sanke coupler
This end is what connects to the faucet
Ah okay, I saw the winged one first and got sidetracked with the hacksaw. That gold end looks like a flare connection (maybe 1/4"). I didn't remove the faucet on the one I sent. I do have a keezer and a jockey box but I can't say I have seen a threaded end on a shank either, just flat ended or barbed nipples. Flare connections that are metal on metal need a small gasket usually (sometimes they are molded in, like on a ball lock disconnect flare). Does that flat black gasket actually fit in there with the nut? It looks like the beer gasket that would go on the other end.

WOW! this is really helpful, thank you @wsmith1625 as well
I think I will purchase this set of items

I do have a couple question though
What's the difference between 5/32" ID vs. 13/64" ID
What are the RETAINING CIRCLIP for?
Also correct me if I'm wrong, the 1/4 shank goes into the 1/4 to 5/16 joiner right?

Last edited:
Not to add any confusion, but are you planning on serving beer from the tower taps? The reason I ask is if you planned on piping the beer in the different fashion that could help determine the parts you'd need. My taps are built into a back bar. The beer tubing passes through a wall from the cooler to the taps.

A similar thing could be fashioned from a wooden box that the taps are mounted into and that could sit on top of your kegerator.
Something like this:
View attachment 816504
Yeah I probably will use the tower tap, I don't think I have enough resources or time to do a lot of DIY

Sorry! I put the wrong link for the roll; I meant to put the link for the 4mmID/8mmOD... I've just looked for it but it looks like they're out of stock on the whole roll. You could try the 'by-the'foot' link and put '37' in as the quantity if you want a whole roll. I found a roll in Canada here;
https://cankeg.com/products/evabarrier-4mm-beer-gas-12m-roll-direct-draw?_pos=3&_sid=e6b2a657d&_ss=rbut I've personally never bought anything from cankeg.
The retaining clips are optional and you'll intuit thier purpose the first time you clip one on....they keep the connections from undoing themsleves when you shift them around and leaking. Most people don't encounter that, but if your nerves are aging or damaged like mine and you can feel when you've pushed the tube in and locked it properly, the clips going around the locking collar is an added layer of insurance.
And Yes... The 1/4" adapter locks on to the duotight barb on the shank and gets the tube in the other.

Back