Replacement pump wiring doesn't match

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoyaoneBrew

Reaction score
I bought a Chinese replacement pump that should fit, size-wise, but it did not come with a plug. I figured I would just replace my new plug less cord with my old cord, but the wiring colors are very different. The original cord has the has a green, white and black wire (which I presume are ground, neutral and hot, respectively). The new cord has a yellow wire with green stripe, which appear to be ground, and I don't know whether the where the blue and pink wires should be connected (or whether it makes a difference). Any ideas? My inclination is to get the ground right, and then assume there is no polarity so it does not matter which of the other two wires go where. But then again, I don't want to ruin my new pump by doing so without checking in with more knowledgeable people.

Original pump on the right.
IMG_2284.JPG

The new one has no plug.
IMG_2285.JPG

The original pump's wiring:
original pump.JPG

The replacement pump's wiring:
Replacement pump.JPG

The blue wire is neutral, and the brownish pink is hot. Yellow/green is ground. This is a common color coding used outside of the USA.

Brew on :mug:

is the new pump a 120v pump and not 220v? I see mention of 500v ac on the chinese labeled one? does china even have 110v anywhere? most countries run on 220v 50hz so many pumps are designed for this outside of whats made specifically for NA. I see what looks like a starting capacitor on the chinese one too that the 110v version doesnt seem to have.

Last edited:
The pump is 120v. Thanks to the wire-color guidance of doug293cz, I simply spliced the new pigtail onto the old cord. I brewed an Oktoberfest yesterday, and the pump worked flawlessly. This pump was about 1/3 the price of the OEM version.

Back