Replacement Mill Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxkale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last year, I started milling my own grain with the AIHB Cereal Killer mill, and after about 30 batches, I'm going to replace it. I was sucked in by the price and am finally tired of the inconsistent crush, sticking, and general bad temperament of the darn thing.

The good news is I can probably reuse the base and hopper, and really just need to replace the mill itself. I'd like to stay under 200 bones on a new mill, but I'm fairly flexible.

Any suggestions from you folks that have had your mill for multiple years? I'd like to get something that will last. I brew about 40 batches a year on a 10 gallon system. I run a pico false bottom in a converted keg MLT, and drive my current mill with a drill. I think that is all of the pertinent details, but let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Thanks all!

Small roller diameter could be a big part in the performance that you cite. Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze says that mills should have rollers that are at least 6 inches in diameter. Obviously, that is ridiculous for a homebrewing mill. But, it points out that roller diameter is important. I've been using a Monster Mill 2-2 with 2 inch rollers. It produces a consistent and desirable crush. It's biggest problem is that it uses thumbscrews to set the mill gap. They do not hold well. The manufacturer has revised the way the adjustable roller is set and it should make a big difference. So the new Monster Mills should be pretty good. I do strongly recommend getting the largest roller diameter you can afford.

I've been looking at the MM, and the Schmidling. I hadn't considered the diameter of the rollers, so I'll have to factor that in. I was leaning toward the Schmidling because of both rollers being driven. I'll have to consider if the larger rollers on the MM.

Thanks for the information. :mug:

Back