Replace Old Bottling Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

I've got this bottling bucket that is at least 10 years old. It’s been about 5 years since I've used it for bottling. It serves as part of my sanitization system using it to soak the chiller, funnel, tubes, etc... In 2 weeks I will need to bottle 5.5 gallons of brew. I'm worried of scratches that will harbor wild bacteria. Should I replace the bucket? Should I just replace the spigot?

BrewNow said:
Hello HBT,

I've got this bottling bucket that is at least 10 years old. It’s been about 5 years since I've used it for bottling. It serves as part of my sanitization system using it to soak the chiller, funnel, tubes, etc... In 2 weeks I will need to bottle 5.5 gallons of brew. I'm worried of scratches that will harbor wild bacteria. Should I replace the bucket? Should I just replace the spigot?

Why take the risk? I would get a new one. It's not going to break the bank.

Replace the bucket. The bacteria can really degrade the taste of your beer. You may also consider racking into another carboy and bottleing out of it using a siphon and a bottle filler. This makes for very little mess.

If I were you, I'd just put the beer and priming sugar into a keg and use the CO2 to push it into bottles.

Back