Replace Beer Lines After Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myndflyte

Reaction score
Now that I look, title may be wrong. We're just talking about Brett here.

So I'm already planning a dark saison that I want on tap next winter and it uses the WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend which says "consists of traditional farmhouse yeast and Brettanomyces". Basically it's going to age on this for about 6 months.

So my question is, how should I take care of my beer lines after it's been on the tap? Obviously I'm going to have a separate fermenter and auto-siphon but should I change out the beer lines afterwards? And do I need to boil the taps? I'm assuming that the keg itself should be good with a thorough cleaning but maybe I'll replace the gaskets.

How thorough do I have to be to make sure the next beer I put on there won't get infected with Brett?

If you can get them really clean (Brett can produce a biofilm that's hard to remove) then treating them with iodophor or peracetic should effectively get rid of any Brett left over without having to scrap the lines.

From everything I've heard from people that are experienced in using brett, a thorough cleaning and sanitizing regimen should be enough.

That being said, I always bottle my brett beers. I enjoy drinking them slowly, as they continue to change over time. I despise bottling, but this is one of the instances where I feel it's worth it.

I wouldn't sweat it. Decent line cleaning regime should get rid of it over time or reduce counts to the point where it doesn't cause a problem over the typical time you've a keg on.

I wouldn't sweat it. Decent line cleaning regime should get rid of it over time or reduce counts to the point where it doesn't cause a problem over the typical time you've a keg on.

What would be considered a decent line cleaning regime? Currently I rinse out the keg, fill with about 2 gallons of hot water (hottest out of the tap) and PBW, shake, and run a gallon of it through the lines. Then I rinse, fill with about 2 gallons of starsan and run a gallon through the lines and then let it sit in the lines until the keg is ready to tap.

Would that be sufficient you think? I have no opposition running Iodophor through it instead if that'll take care of it better.

Proper line cleaning routine is to pull caustic through them, let it sit and repeat the flush with plenty of water. Every now and then do a weak acid wash. If you use co2 to clean lines then usually phosphoric acid instead of caustic because, y'know, it'll react to sodium carbonate and bicarbonate, form oxalate in the presence of calcium salts, but generally an air compressor is used instead of co2!

Back