Repitching Yeast for Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmains

Reaction score
I brewed up 5 gallons of a chocolate Impy stout per: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/double-w-imperial-stout-74932/

I'm currently aging it on oak chips (soaked in bourbon). All in all a pint of Makers went into the secondary. I plan on leaving it in there for about another week or two. When racking to secondary I didn't pick up much yeast sediment from the primary.

My question is this. Should I be concerned about repitching yeast at bottling time? I used 1056 and my FG is about 1.025.

Thanks

whats your %ABV with the whiskey added?

if you want to grab some of the yeast and step it up some in a small starter, you can use that when you go to bottle, just to make sure you have good healthy yeast to make some CO2. if your ABV is lower than 8-9%, you may not have to. wouldnt hurt though.

I'm not sure what the ABV with the added bourbon. I calculated it to be around 10-11% without the added bourbon. My concern is that the alcohol is going to make it impossible for the yeast to carb up my bottles.

It depends on the alcohol tolerance of your yeast. Chances are, they have made it this far and will do fine to eat that last bit of sugar.

I only recommend adding yeast at bottling with a very long (4+ month) secondary.

Back