Repitch yeast slurry after cold crash/gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
I've got a few brews lined up that will be using wlp001. I've got the stir plate going now and have had luck just repitching a pint jar of yeast slurry in the past. The issue is I've never done this after gelatin. So my fear really isn't saving the slurry after cold crashing (heck breweries do that all the time) but repitching AFTER adding gelatin and cold crashing. Has anyone had luck with this? This was mainly a chance to save some DME and not have to make another starter (aka being cheap and lazy) lol

Do you transfer absolute clean wort into your fermenter to start? And are you dryhoping the beer before gelatin?

Do you transfer absolute clean wort into your fermenter to start? And are you dryhoping the beer before gelatin?

I run the wort through a paint strainer bag and the filter mesh that came with the car boy funnel so that helps keep a good bit of crud out of the fermenter. The upcoming wlp001 batch will not be dry hopped so that's why I was hoping to harvest from it after cold crash/gelatin as it should be relatively "clean"

I run the wort through a paint strainer bag and the filter mesh that came with the car boy funnel so that helps keep a good bit of crud out of the fermenter. The upcoming wlp001 batch will not be dry hopped so that's why I was hoping to harvest from it after cold crash/gelatin as it should be relatively "clean"
I would crash it first a little so clean yeast fall to the bottom first then I’d add the gelatin. That way you can confirm clean yeast underneath the gelatin.

I would however tell you not to worry about saving dme because over building starters is the best way to ensure clean and viable yeast

Latest posts

Back