Repitch on Kegged RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I brewed a big RIS back in December. Everything seemed to go OK with the fermentation and my beer came in right where it should have for the final gravity reading. In all, it was in the primary on the yeast for at least 8 weeks.

I kegged it and took it to a meeting and everyone loved it but it need aging for sure. Now, 8 months later the beer has a taste that I thought was just overly sweet from loosing hop flavor, but a few others seem to think it is Acetaldehyde. Funny that it didn't show up early on but it was fairly alcoholic when it was young.

So, what to do? One guy suggested pitching champagne yeast back into the beer. Thoughts?

What makes you think it is acetaldehyde? Grassy, cidery, green apple, vinegar character? At this late in the game, if it has developed acetaldehyde it is likely from getting oxygenated. Is the thought on pitching champaigne yeast into it to dry and get the gravity lower or to attempt to clean out the acetaldehyde?

I get an overly sweet taste but now that it was brought up, maybe it is a bit cider like. I don't see how it could be oxygenated though. It's been kegged and on gas since sometime in Feb., and I purged the O2 out at kegging. I did ferment in a plastic bucket but wouldn't think that 8 weeks was too long in plastic.

They were suggesting champagne yeast to clean up acetaldehyde. I wouldn't mind it being less sweet by lowering the final gravity.

Latest posts

Back