Reoccuring Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukbrewhaha

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just went to bottle my porter, and I think I have an infection. My last 5 beers have been (most recent first):

- Porter (infected I think)
- Blonde (slightly sour smelling but tastes fine after 2 weeks in bottle)
- Pale (tasted sour, dumped)
- NZPA (sour, dumped)
- NZPA (bottled, but sour and cloudy)

34pasr9.jpg

swftqp.jpg

This is what I've just seen in my primary, after about 7 days. I occasionally taste off the primary (through a tap) and it's only just taken this turn for the worse - late in the ferment.

My cleaning and sterilising is always good. From the kettle my wort runs through a tube and a sieve which are both cleaned vigorously before transfer to the FV, and my FV always gets proper attention too. I use Star San IO.

My question is, what could I be missing?

My theories are:

- I use loose lid fermentation on my FV, but leave the lid on properly, just not click down fully
- I top up with tap water after boil, but have never had this problem before
- could be some grime inside the butt tap on the FV? Should I get a pipe cleaner and scrub it out?

It's the same taste every time, and always has this oily surface on top. So I'm sure it's from the same source. Obviously has to be post boil (unless I'm mistaken).

Any advice would be more than welcome! Feel free to ask about anything I might have forgotten to explain.

Yes, it's certainly post boil. It also sounds like you have a good idea of what might be causing it, assuming your sanitation techniques are sound associated with all post boil equipment which comes in contact with your beer. My advice would be to modify the three items you listed for your next batch and see if it happens again. If it does, I would look into improving your use of sanitizers for all post boil equipment.

Well I've bought a new sieve, and it still happened.

My plastic tubing gets boiling water then star san through it right before transfer.
- unless plastic can house bacteria?

Then its down to either
A) my FV (most likely the tap)
B) the loose lid during ferment

this many in a row is so annoying

I would advise you to invest in silicone tubing. You can pick some up from Bobby here: http://brewhardware.com/accessories/118-silicone

Though you are probably doing enough with what you have now. The important bit is to ensure that the star san has enough contact time. Definitely close the lid properly next time and top off with spring water from the store or RO water.

I don't have a hole in my lid for an airlock, will clipping the lid right down case a big problem?

How risky is lifting the lid for a peek?
I must admit I'm guilty of that upon occasion

I don't have a hole in my lid for an airlock, will clipping the lid right down case a big problem?

How risky is lifting the lid for a peek?
I must admit I'm guilty of that upon occasion

Using the proper equipment is key. If you don't have a hole in your lid for an airlock you are not using the proper equipment. Taking a peek now and then is not a big issue as the process of fermentation typically pushes out oxygen with any impurities in it. However, if you are using a loosely fitted lid in place of an airlock you are asking for trouble. You're basically using an open fermentation process that begs for nasties and/or wild yeast strains to infect your beer. Why are you so cavalier with your techniques and still wondering why 5 batches in a row are contaminated? In all my years of brewing I have NEVER had an infection of any kind. And to be honest, I consider it practically negligent to ever have an infection at all...however, it does happen to some brewers on occasion. At this point you have plenty of advice and sufficient understanding in my opinion to right what is wrong with your equipment and your process. Do it "right" from the off and you will sleep better at night and enjoy much better quality from your homebrewing endeavors.

Cheers!

Back