REMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a REMS system. I'm wanting to use a convoluted counter flow chiller. I'm thinking this will save me from truing to figure out to keep cold spots in my HLT. Any ideas?

I am not sure what your plan is here. Most RIMS systems that people build don't even make use of the HLT during mashing.

Are you planning to use two pumps here? one to push wort through the CFC and one to push HLT water through the CFC?

Walker said:
I am not sure what your plan is here. Most RIMS systems that people build don't even make use of the HLT during mashing.

Are you planning to use two pumps here? one to push wort through the CFC and one to push HLT water through the CFC?

Basically I was thinking of using two pumps. One for the CFC to push the wort and one for the HLT. I was thinking I could use that instead of using an immersion chiller in the HLT.

OK. So you are talking about a HERMS system.

I've seen at least one other system like this, so it's definitely do-able. Heater element in the HLT, pump hot water through CFC and back into HLT, and pump wort through the other port of the CFC and back into the MLT.

Walker said:
OK. So you are talking about a HERMS system.

I've seen at least one other system like this, so it's definitely do-able. Heater element in the HLT, pump hot water through CFC and back into HLT, and pump wort through the other port of the CFC and back into the MLT.

I thought HERMS was where the wort ran across a hot water heating element and REMS ran threw coils immersed in hot water?

Doing HERMS with a counterflow chiller should work fine. Here's an informative thread.

EDIT: Also, the wiki has some quick and easy definitions of RIMS and HERMS.

Back