Removing dead yeast from the carbonated mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimPilot

Reaction score
Problem - once you open the bottle even if it's chilled, dead yeast circulates and makes entire drink gets muddy. is there a home-made solution to attempt to remove yeast while not loosing liquid or carbonation inside?

A year ago I've made 1 gallon clover honey + EC1118. Only one bottle survived to have a birthday due to ...OP's thrust. That last bottle was the best and most amazing sparkling mead I've made/had, other than dead yeast floating bottom 1/3 of the bottle.

What say you, homebrew community?

Removing the sediment from the bottle isn't an option, you can carefully decant the liquid off the top, but then your carbonation will dissapate.
Going forward, take your time and let the mead settle on its own and then rack off to another container and use cold crashing/ fining additives to clear it some more.

Problem - once you open the bottle even if it's chilled, dead yeast circulates and makes entire drink gets muddy. is there a home-made solution to attempt to remove yeast while not loosing liquid or carbonation inside?

A year ago I've made 1 gallon clover honey + EC1118. Only one bottle survived to have a birthday due to ...OP's thrust. That last bottle was the best and most amazing sparkling mead I've made/had, other than dead yeast floating bottom 1/3 of the bottle.

What say you, homebrew community?

It has been my experience that EC1118 forms a pretty dense yeast cake in the fridge. Just watch your pour, pour out the entire bottle upon opening and also, don't fuss too much about a little cloudiness. That strain won't make your drink taste funky.

Thanks for replies. Just as I suspected...sparkling mead is outside of my reach for now....

Latest posts

Back