Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when the cost started rising, and we SWORE if they ever hit a buck a pack we would quit. It did, and we didn't.

We started getting cans of Bugler from the store, packs of Zigzag from local head shop, and one of these. Remember rolling machines? You could roll a sweet tight one, filterless tho.

View attachment 672787
I remember when the old cowboys and farmhands smoked Bull Durham. A package of
ZigZags was attached to each little cloth bag of tobacco. The real cowboys could roll one on horseback, one handed, in the wind. Of course, those smokes looked like they were rolled by them boys from Oklahoma...

Being raised by my grandparents who were 72 and 71 years old when I was born and who were on fixed income, I was taught to be thrifty and to be able to adapt. I remember my patches on my pants had patches.
LOL!! I remember at one point when I was in elementary school, so mid 80's or so, and having holes in the knees was cool. One of the few times I was in style, with carefully curated holes, and my grandmother thought she was being helpful and patched my jeans. The only thing less cool than un-holey jeans was patches, even then. I was so unhappy with her on that one.

I remember when the cost started rising, and we SWORE if they ever hit a buck a pack we would quit. It did, and we didn't.

We started getting cans of Bugler from the store, packs of Zigzag from local head shop, and one of these. Remember rolling machines? You could roll a sweet tight one, filterless tho.

View attachment 672787
I used to work with a guy who rolled his own. No roller, but he's been doing it forever, so he'd get as tight with no roller involved. Occasionally I think he had some additional ingredients mixed in there - not enough to be obvious, but just enough to take the edge off.

early 80s, had a roommate whose brother rolled & smoked his own Bugler cigs. Friends would see his ciggy butts in our ashtrays & think they were roaches.

sometimes we didn't stop them from trying to fire one up

View attachment 672787

LOL!! I remember at one point when I was in elementary school, so mid 80's or so, and having holes in the knees was cool. One of the few times I was in style, with carefully curated holes, and my grandmother thought she was being helpful and patched my jeans. The only thing less cool than un-holey jeans was patches, even then. I was so unhappy with her on that one.
According to my mom, there was a time in the 50's when it was totally uncool to wash your jeans. My uncle was so proud of his jeans that could stand on their own when he propped them in the corner!

According to my mom, there was a time in the 50's when it was totally uncool to wash your jeans. My uncle was so proud of his jeans that could stand on their own when he propped them in the corner!
Yeah. I was a kid in the 50s and can remember people talking about those. It was a biker thing, IIRC, and those jeans were called “originals”.

The rolling your own cigarettes are very popular in the Netherlands, I used to smoke them as a teenager. (no, not weed, just tobacco)
the machines were only used by older people who rolled with filters attached.

Yes, those knee patches were hard as cardboard. Now the cool kids buy the jeans with the holes already worn through. Haha.

Remember when you grew and mom took out the hems on your jean legs, so you ended up with a pale line 2" from the bottom?

Remember when the only way to get a tie-dyed shirt was to tie it up and dye it yourself?

Yep. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were a regular staple back then. My grandmother made everything from scratch...noodles, bread, etc. I miss her German dumplings!

I remember coloring eggs for Easter by using onion skins to make a dye. Then there were the popcorn balls..... Every night we watched the Huntley-Brinkley Report.

Ahhhh, the good memories!

Does anyone else remember when cigarettes were 23 cents in the machine? My father would give my brother or me a quarter and tell us to go by him a pack of smokes. You put in a quarter and pull the lever and you get the cigarette pack with 2 pennies taped on the bottom.

no, but i do remember, when they we're 1.25 and wading in the mall fountain collecting change to, get someone in front of the store to buy me a pack....

You could roll a sweet tight one, filterless tho.

i don't like them to tight, and their better without a filter, filters just make them like a glass of milk...and we all know i prefer beer!

70's - jeans jackets...
We were a bunch of stupid teenagers looking all alike thinking we were cool.....

once again i'm reminded of how young i am, i remember flanel jackets in the 90's.....

I don't remember that but I do remember Marlborough Reds for $4 a carton when stationed in Germany mid 80's. Winston would go on sale every other week for $2 a carton. Lucky Strike and Camel unfiltered would be $1 a carton on sale. Needed a ration card though.

Best deal was onboard Navy ships leaving port. As soon as passing into international waters, the 'gedunk' would open and you could buy a carton of smokes for $1.15!!!. That was 1969. Nixon was President. Woodstock happened that summer. We hadn't yet come to terms with the hazards of cigarettes. And virtually everybody smoked. Almost had a mutiny when the price went up to $1.25.

Brooo Brother

View attachment 672787

I had one of those rolling machines. Still rolled by hand when I needed to. Handy skill when I went into the Navy. Then again, sea store cigarettes were really cheap.

on the way back from Desert Storm, I got medevaced off the ship to Rota, Spain for a dental emergency & beat the ship back to Charleston by a week.

left just before they completely ran out of cigarettes on board. I can't imagine the hell my shipmates went through that week

met the ship at the pier when they pulled in and my division was begging to bum smokes before they even threw over lines

My cousins drank Lipton Instant Ice Tea by the gallon. They knew they had added enough sugar when it swirled around the bottom of the glass and wouldn't dissolve any more.
Do they even make this stuff any more?
31-1.jpg

I'm actually having some now.
It's marked, "made with real tea leaves"
Wow... good to know. Like my coffee is made with real coffee beans....:)

IceTea.JPG

on the way back from Desert Storm, I got medevaced off the ship to Rota, Spain for a dental emergency & beat the ship back to Charleston by a week.

left just before they completely ran out of cigarettes on board. I can't imagine the hell my shipmates went through that week

met the ship at the pier when they pulled in and my division was begging to bum smokes before they even threw over lines

Oh yeah. Long cruises and happy homecomings. You've probably heard the nautical joke:

'As the cruise dragged on for months on end, the letters back and forth between the sailor and his wife had gotten more steamy and sensuous. As the homecoming day got closer, the intensity was peaking and the sailor wrote his wife saying,

"You'd better show up dockside with a mattress strapped to your back."

His wife responded, "You'd better be the first one off the ship!" '

Brooo Brother

putting something away out back....neighbor's kid was playing in one of these....brought back memories "Pow, Pow, Power wheels...."

I remember buying a Bigfoot Power Wheel truck for my son 30+ years ago. Then the year before last, we bought our grandson a Electric Porsche from Costco....It had a real radio along with a cable for an accessory media player...What!?!

Yea years ago we used to frequent Taco Bell a lot. The only problem was after I ate there I had to "make a run for the border!"

John

I must confess that I will still stop by for a crunchy taco and bean burrito from time to time. The rest of the menu I'm not a big fan of but I come back for what brought me there to start with.

Just thought of this one...

That colored plastic screen that turned a B/W tv into a color tv.

Those were the days.

Also thalidomide babies, poliomyelitis most everyone having a heart attack not surviving.

I know, I’m older than dirt.

I remember the slogan, kinda remember some of the ads. But my dad was a 'Gansett, Ballantine, and Knickerbocker guy, while his brother preferred PBR and Schaefer, and my mother's brother liked Miller High Life. I was not a beer drinker at that tender age but of all the sips I had I liked the Ballantine IPA the most...

Cheers!

Frisbee's worked better I thought. A little like if you were panning for "gold". As far as Schlitz, it was dad's favorite for a long time and a "bump" on the side (Old Crow, IIRC). Then switched to Old Milwaukee, I think that was an upgrade.

One more. Remember when there were alot of American beers available? Not craft beers but things like Red White and Blue, Grain Belt, Schmidt, Schafer, Blatz, Old Style, etc. I'd really like to taste them again but I think they are all out of business.

Once I moved to the PNW I became aware of others like Rainer or "66", Lucky, Oly, I'm sure there are more but nowadays they are all gone.

One more. Remember when there were alot of American beers available? Not craft beers but things like Red White and Blue, Grain Belt, Schmidt, Schafer, Blatz, Old Style, etc. I'd really like to taste them again but I think they are all out of business.

Once I moved to the PNW I became aware of others like Rainer or "66", Lucky, Oly, I'm sure there are more but nowadays they are all gone.
Brew 66 was disgusting - worse than Olymipa. I remember the Northlake Tavern in the "U" district in Seattle. They had the best pizza around, but the only beer they had was Brew 66. In those days, I was willing to compromise on the beer to have the pizza.

Brew on :mug:

Back