Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned a '56 F100 Panel Truck, a '60 T-Bird, and a '67 Goat. A high school drop-out with basic manual skills could keep any of them running.

Your memories of tuning tri-power carbs are a bit different than my experience, and the irony of using a wide-band O2 sensor to tune 50-year old technology is not lost on me. Of course, I'm probably one of the only people in the universe under 35 who knows what "dwell" is or how to adjust it (and by "adjust", I mean"adjust", while wondering why I don't replace it with HEI).

Your memories of tuning tri-power carbs are a bit different than my experience, and the irony of using a wide-band O2 sensor to tune 50-year old technology is not lost on me. Of course, I'm probably one of the only people in the universe under 35 who knows what "dwell" is or how to adjust it (and by "adjust", I mean"adjust", while wondering why I don't replace it with HEI).

LOL, I remember having to replace the driveshaft twice on my old Camaro after I installed a 327 with a tri-power carb set-up on it. The combination of the secondaries kicking in coupled with the kickdown shift was just a bit more power than the stock drivetrain was comfortable with. The first time I figured it was just due to old parts, after the second one I disconnected the kickdown cable.

Bell bottoms, haha. I grew up when it was acceptable to patch the knee holes on your jeans with iron-on patches. We also hemmed them up in a similar fashion, and as you grew you'd let out the hem at the bottom and end up with a white crease 1" from the bottom, maybe two (during those years we grew like bamboo in monsoon season).

Been a while since I saw a fat Goody comb poking out of somebodys pocket.

Bubble Yum. That was a major thing. Wholy crud.

best-bubble-yum-flavors-list-u3.jpg

Bell bottoms, haha. I grew up when it was acceptable to patch the knee holes on your jeans with iron-on patches. We also hemmed them up in a similar fashion, and as you grew you'd let out the hem at the bottom and end up with a white crease 1" from the bottom, maybe two (during those years we grew like bamboo in monsoon season).

Iron-on patches, hell yeah. hahaha

Remember when "going viral" was something people wanted?

you don't know how much i wish i could get a confirmed case to caugh on my food, just so i can get a feel for it....

latest.jpeg

and to stay on-topic.....if only i could post a clip of dial-up connections....

Remember unix or netscape? First dial up modem was 2.something k.

Now all of my external entertainment comes via fiber. Soon it will be 5G everywhere and fiber will become obsolete. Provided we don't get coronaed into the mid 1800''s.

Remember unix or netscape? First dial up modem was 2.something k.

Now all of my external entertainment comes via fiber. Soon it will be 5G everywhere and fiber will become obsolete. Provided we don't get coronaed into the mid 1800''s.
Unix is still around, but I think Linux might have taken over a lot of the proprietary Unix space. Netscape - not so much. I don't see fiber becoming obsolete for quite a while.

Brew on :mug:

2400 baud modem...you were one of those rich kids!

Hahaha. Oh the sound of the modem connecting...brings back memories...

I remember a group of us dorm-mates gathering around a computer lab screen, waiting line-by-line for a bikini-clad image to show up via FTP.

??? damn right, i dialed into the Univeristy of San Diego's unix server, before the internet was cool.....on i believe 2400 baud modem....
I remember using acoustic coupled (stick the phone handset in the "ear muffs") modems at 110 baud. Also, programming on punched cards.

Brew on :mug:

I remember using acoustic coupled (stick the phone handset in the "ear muffs") modems at 110 baud. Also, programming on punched cards.

Yeah, unit record and paper tape back in college. And I just threw out an acoustic modem coupler last year discovered while cleaning out a storage space under the stairs...

Cheers! (Can't beat the classic music of connectivity :D)

I remember when kids played outdoors and moms yelled for them at supper time.
Phone booths. Candy cigarettes. Lighting my granddads Kents with his old Zippo. Tying a thread on a junebug’s hind leg and flying him around on a leash. Steering the car in your dad’s lap. Clipping an Ace of Spades in your bicycle spokes. Slingshots and Davy Slings. BB guns. Riding in the bed of the truck. Chewing Juicy Fruit gum in church so you’d sit still. My Buddy Inchworm. Yo-yos at school. The Frito Bandito. Jot the Dot. Miller ponies. Hai Karate. Dippity Doo. Pocket combs. Cousin Cliff. Dark Shadows. Rat Patrol. Banana seats. The Electric Company. Sugar Smacks. Cooties. Tube tops. Rope swings.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but sticking with the computer theme...
remember when you used to get the AOL Online CD-Roms in the mail all the time - Free 50 Hours or some such?
Those things made great coasters, sparkle-lines to keep woodpeckers off the house, frisbees, and all sorts of other handy household items.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but sticking with the computer theme...
remember when you used to get the AOL Online CD-Roms in the mail all the time - Free 50 Hours or some such?
Those things made great coasters, sparkle-lines to keep woodpeckers off the house, frisbees, and all sorts of other handy household items.

you mean from the famous voice of "you've got mail" fame? lol

I was on AOL before they had the MS Windows interface. It was a pretty nice graphical interface, but ran on DOS.

My first computer was a hand me down from my father it was an IBM clone by SANYO. It had two 5 1/4" floppy disks and 16K ram....... It was not fully compatible so programs written for the IBM might run..

My first computer was a hand me down from my father it was an IBM clone by SANYO. It had two 5 1/4" floppy disks and 16K ram....... It was not fully compatible so programs written for the IBM might run..

Does anyone remember 8" floppy drives? How about Kaypro 'portable' computers? They were literally the size of a family-sized Samsonite suitcase. RAM was maybe 250K and the dual drive 8" disks held either the 98K OS and the other drive held 100K (max) data? What's a hard drive? Is it anything like tape drives?

Yeah, those were the days, when sex was safe but flying airplanes was risky.

Brooo Brother

Compaq_portable-IMG_7222.jpg
Dad would bring home a Compaq "luggable" computer

dual 5&1/2in drives

Does anyone remember 8" floppy drives? How about Kaypro 'portable' computers? They were literally the size of a family-sized Samsonite suitcase. RAM was maybe 250K and the dual drive 8" disks held either the 98K OS and the other drive held 100K (max) data? What's a hard drive? Is it anything like tape drives?

Yeah, those were the days, when sex was safe but flying airplanes was risky.

Brooo Brother

I remember when kids played outdoors and moms yelled for them at supper time.
Phone booths. Candy cigarettes. Lighting my granddads Kents with his old Zippo. Tying a thread on a junebug’s hind leg and flying him around on a leash. Steering the car in your dad’s lap. Clipping an Ace of Spades in your bicycle spokes. Slingshots and Davy Slings. BB guns. Riding in the bed of the truck. Chewing Juicy Fruit gum in church so you’d sit still. My Buddy Inchworm. Yo-yos at school. The Frito Bandito. Jot the Dot. Miller ponies. Hai Karate. Dippity Doo. Pocket combs. Cousin Cliff. Dark Shadows. Rat Patrol. Banana seats. The Electric Company. Sugar Smacks. Cooties. Tube tops. Rope swings.
tube tops should make a comeback

I know it is body shaming, but wear something that doesn't show you have no respect for your body:

it is possible to not have respect for your body and be skinny.....i lost that two pounds i was trying to, so i'm 175 now, expect me to be drunker then usual here in a bit! :D

Remember when YOU were your dad's remote control?

i do have a vague recollection of corded remotes......

Back