Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which reminds me of the

ansibbs.png

Does anyone remember 8" floppy drives? How about Kaypro 'portable' computers? They were literally the size of a family-sized Samsonite suitcase. RAM was maybe 250K and the dual drive 8" disks held either the 98K OS and the other drive held 100K (max) data? What's a hard drive? Is it anything like tape drives?

Yeah, those were the days, when sex was safe but flying airplanes was risky.

Brooo Brother

Osborne was around the same time as Kaypro. I wanted one sooo bad. CP/M, before DOS. Was living in a bit of poverty back then, so all I could afford was the occasional copy of Byte, from which I'd cut out ads of computers and pin them to the ceiling above my bed.

remember when last page, someone put this thought in your head.......(i just don't know how to delete an uploaded image, or i wouldn't bring it back up, lol)

rememberme.jpg

Osborne was around the same time as Kaypro. I wanted one sooo bad. CP/M, before DOS. Was living in a bit of poverty back then, so all I could afford was the occasional copy of Byte, from which I'd cut out ads of computers and pin them to the ceiling above my bed.

Hey, passedpawn!

I see you're in Clearwater. Did the Gov'nr finally close down the beach and send the Spring Breakers home yet?

Our daughter lives in St. Pete (Old Northeast). We were supposed to be visiting right now, staying in their 1920s cottage. Beautiful little house in a neat neighborhood three blocks from downtown, but with her and her husband now working from home (along with their 3 year old twins and 7 year old Boxer) I fear we'd be more an impediment than help. With all the closings and travel restrictions it's making us look like geniuses for delaying our trip.

Just better be over in time for stone crab season at Frenchie's though!

Be safe.

Brooo Brother

Hey, passedpawn!

I see you're in Clearwater. Did the Gov'nr finally close down the beach and send the Spring Breakers home yet?

Our daughter lives in St. Pete (Old Northeast). We were supposed to be visiting right now, staying in their 1920s cottage. Beautiful little house in a neat neighborhood three blocks from downtown, but with her and her husband now working from home (along with their 3 year old twins and 7 year old Boxer) I fear we'd be more an impediment than help. With all the closings and travel restrictions it's making us look like geniuses for delaying our trip.

Just better be over in time for stone crab season at Frenchie's though!

Be safe.

Brooo Brother

Yep, they are closed.

St pete is a fun town to walk in. And Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach is a blast (get the she-crab soup, yum!)

View attachment 672530

ahhh, the dial for UHF and VHF, brings back memories.....

@bleme beat me to it and getting told to go switch channels, but do you remember having to tune in the rabbit ears?

Looking back now, i can swear my grandfather was just f'in with me now:
To the left, no other left!
Too far!
Back again.
Try the other one.
Get some tin foil.
Wait lift your right foot again.... Perfect!
Now dont move-and I didn't....

I remember a dial TV we had that needed a good smack to the side of TV to get it to work from time to time. The thing was huge, I think it had a TV placed on top of it for a while when it finally stopped working.

I remember seeing "Now in Color" being advertised for some show. Didn't matter much if you had a black and white TV.

I remember the local drug store still had a tube tester when I was kid.

No cable at our house, but after Mt St Helens blew I remember being able to watch TV from Detroit in central Wisconsin for a couple days.

Boy does this bring back memories!! My father worked for Crown Zellerbach.... they produced this packaging. Well in a time before political correctness, Pilsbury eventually pulled these two off the market and cases of this "koolaid" was sent tyr o the factory where my dad worked.... he brought home cases of this crap!
picture-115.png

hey i remember when ....well anyway before it gets deleted....i remember when futurama did an episode about pepridge farm remembering.......lol

Last edited:
damn right, not like i grew up in a rich family that could afford cable! (but yes i am a whipper snapper, that possibly could have had cable, if we weren't poor...)

We had 3 channels not counting public broadcasting that was usually so snowy it was unwatchable. I lived off the beaten path, farm in SD, no cable, satellite was a pipe dream for all but the rich.

Somehow we all survived it.

We had 3 channels not counting public broadcasting that was usually so snowy it was unwatchable. I lived off the beaten path, farm in SD, no cable, satellite was a pipe dream for all but the rich.

Somehow we all survived it.

ahhh, satellite, i remember when i could google the latest encryption key.......had my DVB pci card in the comp, every channel...and still nothing to watch.....

I grew up just outside America's Technology Highway in the 50's and there were only the four network-affiliated VHF broadcast channels including PBS in the Greater Boston area - and that's still true today. It wasn't until the mid-60s that a few UHF channels started popping up, which required an external converter for most folks until they bought new sets (I can still visualize the converter my dad used on his old B/W set)...

Cheers!

I grew up just outside America's Technology Highway in the 50's and there were only the four network-affiliated VHF broadcast channels including PBS in the Greater Boston area - and that's still true today. It wasn't until the mid-60s that a few UHF channels started popping up, which required an external converter for most folks until they bought new sets (I can still visualize the converter my dad used on his old B/W set)...

Cheers!

lol, and now you're a big boy and have a flat screen tap list, with digital level meters.....my how times change.....:D 6 taps last i heard? more fun than TV!!!

edit: and to stay on topic i remember when i was drinking kesler at 14, that would have, well never mind......

Last edited:
lol, and now you're a big boy and have a flat screen tap list, with digital level meters.....my how times change.....:D 6 taps last i heard? more fun than TV!!!

edit: and to stay on topic i remember when i was drinking kesler at 14, that would have, well never mind......
I remember reading Popular Science in the 60's. Seems like a couple of times a year they would have articles about technology that might bring us the Flat Screen TV. Later in professional life I worked for a company that was making some of the first plasma flat screen displays - they were monochrome orange. :eek:

Brew on :mug:

I remember reading Popular Science in the 60's. Seems like a couple of times a year they would have articles about technology that might bring us the Flat Screen TV. Later in professional life I worked for a company that was making some of the first plasma flat screen displays - they were monochrome orange. :eek:

Brew on :mug:

I can recall Popular Science or Popular Mechanics telling us we would all have helicopters. Sounded great to me. In fact they even had plans that included a VW aircooled motor IIRC.

we would all have helicopters.

i remember hanging out with my surrogate father, that was a mechanic in WW2 and Vietnam, the one that got me into the commodore 64 club....wanting to build a gyro copter with styro-foam blades, i always thought he was crazy......but he was a good mechanic.....

edit: i remember when i was 7-8 and he'd take me a long when he was volenteering restoring something like this, i remember having to hop to grab the back hand grips to crawl up to the tail wing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook

I had a Commodore 64. IIRC it was a Z/80 microchip. Same as the first cpu equipment I worked on in the USAF. Big deal back then.

funny you missed my edit, about old army replacement(damn, SP? lol) fathers......

edit #2: honestly i don't know what i'm saying any more.....sorry.

edit #2: just thinking slow, maybe i'd say :off:, but in a thread "do you remember",, not actually true.....

So I replied to say sorry, I didn't catch it. When I replied you had edited. It's all good!

i remember when i told my mom, one of the best things she did for me is buy me a homebrew kit.....her response was "little did i know"....lol (but at least i ain't a broke tweaker!!)

Being raised by my grandparents who were 72 and 71 years old when I was born and who were on fixed income, I was taught to be thrifty and to be able to adapt. I remember my patches on my pants had patches.

I remember being on vacation with the parents and dad bursting with excitement when he found gas for $0.23 a gallon. Dad stopped and filled up. Probably 22 - 23 gallons in the old Fury II.

I remember that excitement turning to an angry burst of words that would make Satan blush when ten minutes down the road we approached a station at $0.19 a gallon.

Dad was a tightwad.

All the Best,
D. White

Does anyone else remember when cigarettes were 23 cents in the machine? My father would give my brother or me a quarter and tell us to go by him a pack of smokes. You put in a quarter and pull the lever and you get the cigarette pack with 2 pennies taped on the bottom.

Does anyone else remember when cigarettes were 23 cents in the machine? My father would give my brother or me a quarter and tell us to go by him a pack of smokes. You put in a quarter and pull the lever and you get the cigarette pack with 2 pennies taped on the bottom.

I don't remember that but I do remember Marlborough Reds for $4 a carton when stationed in Germany mid 80's. Winston would go on sale every other week for $2 a carton. Lucky Strike and Camel unfiltered would be $1 a carton on sale. Needed a ration card though.

I remember when the cost started rising, and we SWORE if they ever hit a buck a pack we would quit. It did, and we didn't.

We started getting cans of Bugler from the store, packs of Zigzag from local head shop, and one of these. Remember rolling machines? You could roll a sweet tight one, filterless tho.

upload_2020-3-26_10-1-16.png

Being raised by my grandparents who were 72 and 71 years old when I was born and who were on fixed income, I was taught to be thrifty and to be able to adapt. I remember my patches on my pants had patches.

Yes, those knee patches were hard as cardboard. Now the cool kids buy the jeans with the holes already worn through. Haha.

Remember when you grew and mom took out the hems on your jean legs, so you ended up with a pale line 2" from the bottom?

Remember when the only way to get a tie-dyed shirt was to tie it up and dye it yourself?

Back