Regulator won't go low enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, i just kegged a batch of beer and hooked up the regulator. I turned the knob all the way counter clockwise and lowest setting I can get the C02 to is 30 lbs. I've only used the regulator (The Governor) once before so I don't think that's the issue. Anyone have a recommendation? I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now.

Thank you.

With the pressure control knob turned counter-clockwise to where you think the pressure should have dropped, try pulling the Pressure Relief Valve ring.
That should release the trapped pressure in the system and let it drop to the new/current pressure setting...

Cheers!

I did that a bunch of times and it goes back up. When I tapped the display it shot all the way up to 50lbs. Does it sound like my regulator is broken?

I took apart the quick connect and cleaned it also. Is there something in the quick release that could cause this? If I understand how it works I can't see this being the issue.

Thanks again.
With the pressure control knob turned counter-clockwise to where you think the pressure should have dropped, try pulling the Pressure Relief Valve ring.
That should release the trapped pressure in the system and let it drop to the new/current pressure setting...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ugh. Well it doesn't sound great. If you've turned the pressure control counter-clockwise all the way to the stop (presuming it has one - all of my regs do) and the pressure keeps rising it sounds like there's something trapped in the regulator valve that won't let it fully close.

One thing you can try:
- fully close the cylinder valve
- remove any tubing from the regulator output
- if the regulator has a shut-off valve on the output, open it fully
- turn the pressure control knob clockwise multiple turns like you are going for an insane output pressure
- get a good grip on the cylinder/regulator
- then open the cylinder valve to create two or three short blasts

The hope here is that there's some bit of debris trapped in the regulator valve body (very tiny orifice with a tiny pin valve) and by opening the gap in that valve and using a blast or two of high pressure it'll clean everything out. To check to see if it worked, turn the pressure control knob fully counter-clockwise to zero pressure, open the cylinder valve, and see if the pressure follows the control knob as you slowly turn it clockwise.

If that doesn't solve the problem I would have to believe that regulator is defective and if under warranty should be returned...

Cheers!

I tried everything with no luck, so I ordered a new one.

My beer is in the keg in the refrigerator. Will it be ok like this for 5 days while I wait for the new regulator to arrive?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back