Regulator w/out shutoff valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobie99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

So about 18 months ago I bought a Brew Logic Dual regulator from Midwest when they were on a completely ridiculous sale. You know, looking forward to when I could actually start kegging.

Well, the time has come, and I finally pulled the regulator out of its box to set stuff up and I notice that there are no shutoff valves attached to the regulator. Is it ok to use without shutoff valves? I'm fairly positive that what's in there has check valves included - but of course, the regulator seems to be discontinued so I can't find any info anywhere.

Is it ok for me to just plug the kegs directly from the gas-in into the regulator ports without shutoff valves in the line? Can I trust that if I just shut the valve on the regulator all the way, it'll basically stop the flow? What if I want to disconnect one of the kegs, or need to be able to purge one to fill it while the other one is connected?

Thanks for helping out a total kegging noob!

Yes you can, just be watchful for beer backing up into your gas lines and regulator. This can happen during force carbonation, overfilled kegs, excessive foaming, not purging head space, not lowering head space pressure enough before serving, etc.

If you have more than 1 keg to serve, you will want a Wye adapter at minimum or a manifold. Most come with shutoffs and check valves. Like these.

There's a lot of info about kegging and handling gas on this board, so study up on the subject.

Dual product or just dual gauge? From your post it sounds like dual product. I would just buy some shut off valves and add them.

Thanks IslandLizard. I figured no reason it shouldn't work, but wanted to make sure.

Lbm - it's actually a dual regulator (3 gauges, 2 delivery pressure, and 1 high pressure).
I've just ordered a wye-splitter and 3 shutoff valves. I'm assuming I don't need to order a female coupling to attach them to the ball check valves that came pre installed in the regulator, but that I should remove the check valves and just go ahead and use the shutoffs (well, shutoff on one, and wye splitter on the other) to replace them?

Back