Refurbishing a Ball lock keg - Pressure relief valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojacques

Reaction score
Morning!
So I got a few corny (ball lock) kegs that I am now refurbishing and cleaning.
While dissembling 2 of the pressure relief valves, I noticed that it seems like there are missing o-rings/gaskets.

The one on the bottom (see picture) has not gasket whatsoever. As for the one on top, the gasket came out while I was cleaning it… oops

Thoughts? Can I just glue back the gasket on the one on top? Do I have to get a new o-ring/gasket for the one on the bottom?

At 5$ a piece, I could also simply buy 2 new pressure-relief valves…? What are your thoughts?

20170405_190415.jpg

I have a few like yours on the right. That rubber disc sometimes drops out, but it seems to be holding in with some friction from the sides. I never saw a glue remnant like yours, so I never glued it although I wondered about it. I guess you could.

The one on the left is new to me. Maybe there's a rubber gasket/o-ring on the bottom of the PRV housing making the seal?

The price of all these replacement parts is (relatively) outrageous. I guess that keeps their lights on.

Good to know.
I will be ordering of my OLBS soon, and they sell the valves for 5$, which is totally fine for me...
(Noob question time!) Are these valves all standard on ball lock kegs?

I have a few that came with lids with PRV's that seal with a tiny o-ring on a seat, rather dan a rubber-foot-on-hole like yours, of which I also have a few, of which all are 20 years plus. Almost all the (Chinese) eBay vendors sell the o-ring one, haven't been able to find the foot-on-hole ones anywhere.

Good to know.
I will be ordering of my OLBS soon, and they sell the valves for 5$, which is totally fine for me...
(Noob question time!) Are these valves all standard on ball lock kegs?

You mean the complete PRV assembly you screw into the lid, not just the part with the spring and pull ring? That's not too bad.

I believe all real ball lock lids have the same PRV screw-in base.

You should double check the assembly of the one on the left though, that's not anything I've ever seen. There must be a seal somewhere on the bottom.

I know, I don't understand where the seal should be located on the one on the left........

Back