Refrigerator Overhaul. Is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314alias

Reaction score
I have an old Delfield Model 403 freezer. I can plug it in and it sounds like its trying to run but both fan motors are shot. I am wondering if it is worth turning into a lagering fridge or a kegerator. Anyone have any experience replacing fan motors on this style of fridge or how to see if the cooling unit is still good.

Delfield makes some pretty good equipment, so I suppose it depends on how old it it and how handy you are with test equipment. Does it have the electronic control? If you have a voltmeter you can check a few things yourself. If you know the problem is the fan motors, you can probably get something pretty close from a good local motor shop. Have you seen this manual? It may help to get started.....
http://delfield.com/docs/uploaded/del/manuals/dm400_4000.pdf

I'm pretty handy with stuff like this and i think it would be fun but i dont know whether it would be worth the money. How do I check to see if the condenser is good, and see if the only thing i need to replace is the fan motors? Electrician or appliance store do they charge for stuff like that?

I have an old Delfield Model 403 freezer. I can plug it in and it sounds like its trying to run but both fan motors are shot. I am wondering if it is worth turning into a lagering fridge or a kegerator. Anyone have any experience replacing fan motors on this style of fridge or how to see if the cooling unit is still good.

IMO - You are much better off buying a new model chest freezer and a mechanical Johnson Controls controller.

The cost to swap out the fans, verify the system isn't an energy pig and making sure the condensor/evaporator isn't fubar is more effort than it's worth. Even with the JC controller, the older unit operating costs are tough to justify.

Best of luck!

Back