Refrigerator AND Freezer both Died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me.

I have both a refrigerator and freezer that I have not used for three years. They have been unplugged in my basement.

Today I plugged both in and both were dead. Any ideas about what happened?

Thanks

How long were they plugged in before you gave up?
If you plugged in and heard nothing, so you unplugged... you may be wrong and their fine. There's a delay on the the compressor usually. IIRC - It's usually around 7-8m, but I could be off.
I'd wait at least 20m before getting worried.

Dead, as in completely dead? No clicking or anything? That is really peculiar.
Pardon me for asking, but did try to fire them up on another circuit? It makes no sense they both won't start, I'm suggesting a power issue.

First off, I am assuming two separate units here and not a freezer/fridge combo?

Did you try a different outlet?

Yes, there are two separate.

Freezer was left on for about 20 minutes.

The refrigerator also had no signs of life including the light bulb in the refrigerator portion.

i just don't understand how both of these units could go bad while just sitting there.

On the odd chance, look for a fuse on the unit(s), or a reset button.

Cycle the temp controls full range, stop to stop, whilst plugged in.

Did ya' figure anything out on them?

Any "brain fart" involved?

Thanks for the follow up.

In fact yesterday I tried the fridge again and looked all over for a reset or fuse - nothing. I did take all available controls and cycle through all the ranges - nothing. I guess they're dead. It still makes no sense to me.

Have you taken a lamp and plugged in to both set of sockets? Has it been a long time since those circuit have been used for anything? Circuit breakers go soft sometimes, and from the front they don't look popped. Just a thought...

Thats a good idea about the circuit breaker...but, I checked the power through a power strip and it's indicator lit switch was lit up. I'm going to flip the breaker for no other reason than I can. Does that make sense??

Thats a good idea about the circuit breaker...but, I checked the power through a power strip and it's indicator lit switch was lit up. I'm going to flip the breaker for no other reason than I can. Does that make sense??

Try running a heavy duty extension cord. Most power strips will not provide the amperage appliances require.

No.

But unless you have someone hooked up to a life support system on the same circuit, what harm can a CB reset do?

Cheers!

Do you have a volt-ohmeter? Can you test the power outlets? How about this: plug an extension cord into one of the sockets, and then to a heavy draw like a microwave or something. What is happening makes no sense

Yes, I have and will use a volt meter. I will be out of town until Thursday and will do all the steps suggested when I return BECAUSE THIS FAILURE MAKES NO SENSE....grrrr!

Back