Refrigeration time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
Quick question....I realize the answer may vary depending on the type of beer

3 weeks in primary (hydo reading permitting), 3 weeks in the bottle at 70 degrees (some beers need longer)...

How long in the fridge after that?

Thanks for all the help!

After three weeks I would place a few in the fridge for 3 or 4 days and crack one open and see where its at... If you like the carbonation level proceed with putting more in the fridge. If it a higher gravity and/or dark beer I would give them a few more weeks past the initial 3 weeks just because they tend to take a bit longer to carb properly.

Quick question....I realize the answer may vary depending on the type of beer

3 weeks in primary (hydo reading permitting), 3 weeks in the bottle at 70 degrees (some beers need longer)...

How long in the fridge after that?

Thanks for all the help!

I don't put them in the fridge until ~24 hours prior to serving. Just leave them at room temp until you want them.

3 weeks in primary is the bare minimum IMO, and 3 weeks in bottles will probably get you a green-tasting flat beer for most styles. I'd plan on 4 weeks primary and 4-6 weeks carb-ing in the bottles before you refrigerate a bunch of them.

I find my beer tastes best after 4 days in the fridge. But, I've cracked them at 48 hours and they're still good.

I would leave them in the fridge a minimum of 48 hours before drinking.

Some of my beers I drink at room temperature or, only chilled in fridge for a couple of hours.

Yea, me too. Though they are nicer after a good 24 hours. Some beers I leave out of the fridge to warm up a bit first as they are better off not at 2C, but more like 8C.

I'm wondering what the experienced brewers say about what refrigeration does for normal beer (excluding lagers).

Is it just CO2 absorption or is there other stuff to consider, like maybe knocking out any remaining active yeast in the solution causing them to settle out?

CO2 absorption I'm sure will happen fairly quickly as the beer cools. I know that putting a plastic bottle that taps with a high pitch "ping", when put in the fridge for 4 hours actually feels flat and has virtually no pressure left. This would be due to the Co2 being absorbed into the beer by that stage. The same batch, a bottle opened at 8C had instant fizz and head.... after fridge, it looked flat until poured vigorously (or shaken). Supporting the CO2 absorption theory.

I do not know the science but I can say last night cracked open a brown ale that has been in the fridge for 2.5 months. It was a noticeably different beer than it was 2.5 months ago. So it would seems something is still going on chemically, even thought it is in the fridge.

I leave my beers in primary till they reach FG,then 3-7 days after that to settle out more. Then bottle & condition for 4-5 weeks. The carb & flavors are def better at that point. Conditioning the flavors usually takes longer than carbonating. Then at least a week fridge time for good head & co2 absorption,which doesn't seem to happen all that quickly ime.
And my fridge is set at about 47F. 2 weeks fridge time gives even thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Depends on when I need the beer.. If I don't need it until the next day, 24 hours minimum. If I'm thirsty now, 30 minutes in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back