refractometer w/ATC ambient temp range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ne0t0ky0

Reaction score
I was reading some of the details on my refrac and noticed that it said the ATC was good between 68 and 88, roughly 20 degree range. Down here in Texas, it's up to 90 by noon. So I'm wondering if I need to keep the refrac inside, or if I just need to recalibrate before each reading when it's so hot?

Just keep it inside. Are you brewing outside in this heat ? I would just fill the pipette and walk inside to read it to avoid any issues. I wont brew outside in this heat but that is what I do when it gets cooler out.

Heh, well, when you run out of beer, or nearly, one does what one must... I started at 6am, done by noon, so not too bad but end of the boil is late enough its over 88.

Sounds like ill be leaving it inside from now on. Thanks for the info.

Heh, well, when you run out of beer, or nearly, one does what one must... I started at 6am, done by noon, so not too bad but end of the boil is late enough its over 88.

Sounds like ill be leaving it inside from now on. Thanks for the info.

Understandable. I am still not used to the heat here (just moved here 2 years ago) so I wont dare brew in the heat. I guess starting that early would work. I just dont want to have to name my beer Sweat Drop IPA.

I might just borrow that name! I'm sure I've got more than a drop in my IPA's :)

BTW, Even the native Texans aren't used to this heat.

Back