Refractometer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikray

Reaction score
When I calibrate my refractometer with distilled water, the edge between the white and blue is sharp and distinct. But when measuring wort, the line can be pretty blurry and it's hard to tell where to take the reading. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yup and is one of the (many) reasons I went back to using a hydrometer. While aiming it at a brighter light source can help some, it wasn't ever enough for me.

However, would love to hear from those of you that have great success in using yours along with tips/tricks.

Trace

I was given a digital refractometer as a gift, so I no longer have this issue. I do however know about the fuzzy readings. I always had the best luck using a clear sample (as free of break and hop material as possible). Also, reading from natural or incandescent light was best (florescent light never gave me a good read).

That said, I would shoot for the middle of the fuzzy line. Honestly the variation of readings from the outsides of the fuzzy lines is probably pretty negligible.

After closing the plastic lid, wait 15 seconds and then lift it up and reseat it. Usually takes care of the blur on mine.

I still hate the damn thing and barely use it.

My refractometer readings are always fuzzier than the calibration water samples. However, the fuzziness I experience couldn't possible result in a misreading of more than ± .001, and that's just not enough for me to be concerned about.

After closing the plastic lid, wait 15 seconds and then lift it up and reseat it. Usually takes care of the blur on mine.

I still hate the damn thing and barely use it.

I absolutely love mine!! Beats having to chill a sample to get a reading and it's instant.

Back