Refractometer needs frequent calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
When I am brewing I calibrate my refractometer and find it out of adjustment frequently. (mine is the common dual scale ATC model)

For those of you that have a refractometer and check the calibration frequently... do you find it off a bit?

Just wondering if mine is prone to be out of adjustment or if it's par for course. I could never go back to hydrometer so I'll put up with it... just wondering if I should replace it.

It's temperature dependent. Not the temp of the liqiud, but the refractometer components themselves. I calibrate mine in the early morning and later in the day, when its warmer, I have to recalibrate.

It's temperature dependent. Not the temp of the liqiud, but the refractometer components themselves. I calibrate mine in the early morning and later in the day, when its warmer, I have to recalibrate.

Agreed. The temp change of the ambient air during the day affects the readings.

You're not getting lab grade test equipment for $25-$50:D
I calibrate mine before every reading-it takes a minute and a couple of drops of distilled water.
I learned my lesson after I had a brew where my post mash, pre-boil and post boil numbers were way off and all over the place. As a last resort, I checked the refractometer-it was off, even though I had calibrated it at the start of the brew session.

I have to admit this baffles me. I check my refractometer every brew day with distilled water and it's never needed adjustment; it's never been off by more than a small fraction of a degree Plato.

I've never had to calibrate my refractometer. But it is always used inside my house which is climate controlled.

Thanks! Yes, it does seem to go off more when the temperature changes. I just continue to check it as I have been doing.

Thanks! Yes, it does seem to go off more when the temperature changes. I just continue to check it as I have been doing.

It never hurts to check it, and it's probably a good practise to get into. I think it's also a good idea to let the small sample of wort cool slightly before putting it on the refractometer plate. I've always found that gives me a better reading.

Back