Reducing Hoppiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucwayne

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Beer Barrel Porter from a extract kit that I got from Apex Brew Wares. Here is the recipe:

3lbs DME
1Lb 8oz Munich
15oz Chrystal 40
12 oz Chocolate
8 oz Black Patent

Hop Schedule was
1 3/4 oz EKG at 60Min.
3/4 oz Fuggle at 15 min
3/4 oz EKG at Flame out

Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

This was for a 5.5 Gal batch

Everything seemed to go just fine. OG was 1.062 FG was 1.016 after 3 weeks. I racked it to a secondary and added the 3 oz of bourbon soaked oak chips. After 2 weeks in the secondary, I did a taste test and it seems a little to hoppy for my liking.

My questions is: Is there a way to reduce the hoppiness?

Time. The hoppiness will fade with time, for sure. After you bottle or keg give it a few weeks and try it again

Time.

Hops will fade with time and with a porter you are going to want to age it a bit more than a pale ale. I find my porters and stouts taste so much better at the 3-4 month mark vs the 2-2.5 mark of my ipas & pales.

I'm on the time bus too. Time fixes most beer ailments. If you're impatient or you really messed it up you could try blending it with a small amount of unhopped wort from the same grist. It's just a lot of fuss when you can just do nothing instead.

Thanks guys, I had planned on letting it condition in the secondary for a month or two anyways, so I'll do just that and taste it again in a month or so....

Also keep in mind that the process of carbonating and cold conditioning after carbonation can not be replicated with secondary aging. Many of the changes are the same or similar, the the beer out of secondary can't be judged like the finished or post-carbonation-cold-aging product can.

Anyways, your plan sounds perfect. Happy brewing!

Yes, time, but you may not be happy with the residuals so keep very accurate records. Aging hops seem to leave a faded glory.

Back