Redstar Cote des Blancs yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocWall46

Reaction score
I was reading that Cote des blancs yeast can be fermented between 60-84*F. Has anyone fermented at these different temperatures?

My understanding is cooler is better, I'm just worried about my electric bill running my AC like I am in Phoenix haha. I'm currently fermenting at 20*C (68*F).

I think you're overthinking the process...:yes:

Champagne yeasts (tend to) ferment out all the sugars available (down to 1.000 and under) which produce very dry wines.

The temperatures are basically the "recommended range". The higher temp will just allow the honey to ferment out faster.

I've used it at room temps probably around 70F so maybe it fermented at 74. It cleaned up pretty nice. I'm actually going to be using some on my next mead.

I've done only a total of 6 wines and 1 mead over the past 3 years, but they were all with that yeast, and all fermented in the low-mid 60's. It does seem to work through the sugars quickly, so if you are worried about high temps creating fusels, then perhaps try to keep it on the cool side for the first couple of days. Maybe use a swamp cooler?

Back