red lion controls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay9_24

beerganeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
any process gurus here that might have used red lion controllers for pid, temp monitor, and output?

http://www.redlion.net/Products/ProcessControl/ModularController.html

I have used redlion HMIs in the past and they were a breeze to set up. These controllers i am hoping are equally as top notch and simple to set up.

I am just looking at an alternative to SLC500 plcs that i have currently been using. The cards for them are getting expensive. Though they will do absolutely anything that you can dream up.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated. Automation gets expensive enough already, but time is way more important.

I have not used that module in a project. I did use it in training but we were not configuring it. The Red Lion stuff is easy to use. I expect that module to be also.

I am currently working on a project with this http://www.industrialcontroldirect.com/hmi-plc-controller-2950.html. So far it looks good but I will not have the device in my hands until Friday.

Another option is this from automation direct.

another option is the click plc from automation direct... that is what i am actually using mostly because the software to program it is free

Another option is this from automation direct.

The DL-05 may not be the best choice for a complete brewery automation.
I had to use two to get my set-up going, now I am using a DL-06.

PLC_Panel.jpg

100_1596.jpg

The only Red Lion equipment I am using is a the temp controller for my keezer.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

My control panel sucks.

DSC01731.jpg

I layed out a bunch of switches, relays, and momentary latching switches, and everything works fine, but the behavior of the switches and relays I'm unhappy with as they lock up and need to have the power cut off every once in a while and then restarted...

I was looking into the BCS 462, but my system is built with RTDs. So I saw this thread and the use of the DL-06 PLC. I know next to nothing about it, but thought I could change out the face of my control panel to support it. Would like more info on it.

I'm needing to control the following:
1. Being able to set a timer to sequece HLT heating.
2. Using a ramp heating method to control Mash Temperature vs time.
3. Control 3 pumps in a manual and automated sense.
4. Control condensing unit for refrigeration of glycol.
5. Controling fermenter temperature.
6. Expandability.

It seems like only a few people have ever used this, so would like to learn more about this. Any help? Thanks.

No, don't get me wrong. I like the looks of it, but I built logic into way to many relays that switch and latch, and every once in a while, they just get stuck and the whole entire panel needs to be turned on and off. It's just real finicky with everything and that's what I'd like to change.

Back