red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgrachek

Reaction score
I brewed a red ale, fermented and bottled it. Yesterday I cracked one open and took a sip. The head was fantastic but seem

Seemed overly large. The taste was almost that of a cider. It had a finish similar to blue moons and tasted almost like a cider. It also had a similar smell to blue moon too. Next time I may try it with a Orange slice haha. I don't get it because it wasn't supposed to taste or smell like that. in my head at least. The color looked fantastic though. Even though it didn't taste like I expected it still was pretty good.

Sorry for the double post. I'm on my phone and accidentally hit the enter button and it submitted the first one before I was done.

I just brewed a mutligrain red ale. The grains I used had a lot of sweet smells to me so it might be the tradition of reds to be a little bit milder in flavor.

I think it had to do with the aging of the beer. It was very young when we tested it.

We brewed a kit. I'm not sure what strain of yeast was used. Ingredients include LME some caramel grains and a limited amount of other grains.

We have opened a bottle once a week since then to test the age and when it would be okay to drink. It has started to taste less like champagne.

Did you take OG and FG readings? If so, what were they? How long did the beer ferment?

I'm getting set to brew a Red myself, I'm curious.

The red I brewed had an OG of 1.047 (which is .003 higher than stated). I've been letting it sit in the fermenter for about 2 weeks and the gravity yesterday was a 1.012 (kind of the number I had in my head of what it would be when finished). If it is Still 1.012 on Friday I plan on bottling and running with it. The recipe said 4-6 weeks. I pitched my yeast (dry safale) at 75 degrees and it is 65 right now. Sample taste was good, too.

Back