Kinda Mexican Cake-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rish

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday brewed the base for hopefully something similar to Mexican Cake. I took the ingredients from an NB chocolate milk stout, cut it back to 3 gallon with an additional 1# of Briess wheat dme, adjusted IBUs to 50. OG 1.104. 65°F
I guess I used the S-04 that was supposed to go in this on something else and the only beer yeast I had was W-34/70. I'm wondering how that may affect the character of this brew.
I'll make tinctures of the individual spices and habaneros to add at bottling so I can try to match the MC I'll be sipping while bottling.

Last edited:
^^ Fermenting away nicely. Lots of rotten egg smell! I'm guessing it's from the lager yeast. I'll leave it in the fermenter for at least a month anyway, so that should take care of it.

W34/70 makes great dark beer. Don't think there's any problem using it when the recipe calls for ale yeast. I like to use a bunch of it because it is cheap and ferment it really low. I like my stouts smooth rather than roasty and the lager yeast really does the trick.

Birmingham, AL or UK?

Hey, @jordanfrenzy , thanks for the info. I'm in AL. Have you (or anyone else who runs across this) had any issues with W34/70 stalling? This beer started out at 1.102, now at 1.050 and not dropping. I've tried rousing and bumping up the temp with no improvement. Starting to worry. Any suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
Cool, Birmingham is my hometown.

I've never had issues with it stalling, but I didn't really think about your gravity when I first read this thread. Most things I've fermented have been around 1.055 OG.

How many packets of 34/70 did you use?

1 pack rehydrated in a 3 gallon batch. Thinking about a starter with Nottingham to get it going again. Let me know if you're back in B'ham; maybe we can get beer. 🍻

It dawned on me that I didn't account for the ppg of the lactose I put in so the fg was higher than I expected. On 02/04 it tasted great so I bottled it with a heaping 1/2 teaspoon table sugar per 12 oz bottle.

Back