It’s just unfair!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PashMaddle

Reaction score
I just poured the last of my brown ale (from my very first all grain batch/first batch in a decade), retired to my bed to “watch my stories”, took my first sip…

…and it tastes amazing! Like better than the others from this batch. Or is that just a psychological thing because it’s the last one? Either way, I’m sad to see these go.

Most of us have experienced this, I think. I know I have. I have just a few bottles of a Scottish ale I brewed almost a year ago and I wish I had waited a few more months before I started drinking them, 'cause they're almost gone now and way better than when I opened the first one. Patience is a virtue in this hobby!

Last edited:
Most of us have experienced this, I think. I know I have. I have just a few bottles of a Scottish ale I brewed almost a year ago and I wish I had waited a few more months before I started drinking them, 'cause they're almost now and way better than when I opened the first one. Patience is a virtue in this hobby!
Thank you for the comforting words in these difficult times.

…I just got 4 porters out of the FC where they’re conditioning and moved them to the fridge. They still have a week or two left to go but the last one I tasted (for science) was pretty okay/good, maybe I won’t be too deep into those when they’re properly conditioned.

Also, Sunday is brew day and I’m doing a SMaSH to get rid of my Sabro hops so that’ll be quick and at least I’ll have beer and no conditioning gap to contend with. I need to put some time and thought into scheduling my brew days better.

Not an uncommon phenomenon with brewers getting into their stride; Realizing that the favorite batches that they brewed taste better after they have conditioned a bit, even though the beer also tasted great when young.

There is a solution; brew more beer so there is enough around to last long enough to reach its prime, especially when it tastes darn good soon after brewing. It takes a bit of determination, more kegs and/or bottles. Once supply is built up, one does not drink more, (theoretically), it just has time to settle, lager and condition a bit.

Some call it having a "pipeline". That's not a bad term, but if there is a word that means more or less the same thing, and applies to beer or beverages in general, let me know. ;]

yeah the last pint of the keg is always the best. whats worse is i have trouble with repeatability. i am always chasing my best beer.
i just keep lots going so theres always some decenlty aged beer on tap

Hindsight is 20/20.

I've still got some bottles of wine and Tequila barrel aged beers that are definitely past their prime at five plus years.

Patience is a virtue, but how virtuous do you really need to be?

Totally agree that it can be taken too far but that seems to be the exception for many of us.🍻
Disorganization plays a large part...

Also, hats off to all those beers that went grain to gone in a month.

I built a fairly simple Pale Ale once - bottle conditioned. We drank the first case and at best it was so-so. The second case suffered a catastrophe - it got knocked off a table onto the concrete floor of my shop and exploded in spectacular fashion. Four lonely bottles survived the fall, and I unceremoniously stuffed them in the back of the keg fridge and forgot them. 6 or 7 months later I rediscovered these lonely four and cracked one just to see . . .PURE nectar! It was one of the finest beers of its type I ever had, and I admit I greedily downed all 4 MYSELF - Could have shared - Didn't WANT TOO. But it was hard to think about those lost brews and the so-so ones that paved the way!!! Good news is it is an easy brew to duplicate and wisdom and a serious pipeline have made it much easier to replicate this deliciousness today!!! (Just brewed some Saturday as a matter of fact)

Latest posts

Back