Red ale today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavenlybrew

Reaction score
Steeping grains
.5 lbs cara-pils
.125 chocolate
.125 Munich
Extract
6.6 lbs Pilsen light malt extract
Hops
60 min 1oz. Fuggles
30 min 1oz Irish moss
15 min 1oz Kent Goldings

No clue what gravity to expect. Guy at lhbs told me this would make a murphy's Irish red

Use beer calculus it's free and will help you to balance it out, need be. what yeast are you using? Irish ale?

Brew_4iT said:
Use beer calculus it's free and will help you to balance it out, need be. what yeast are you using? Irish ale?

I tried that but there were too many options on grains and extracts that my lil noob brain couldn't grasp so I said screw it. Im using wyeast yeast Irish red ale

Just wondering why pilsen,and not light? Not that its bad. Should be a fine beer no doubt. Woops, my fail to read the bottem.

jonmohno said:
Just wondering why pilsen,and not light? Not that its bad. Should be a fine beer no doubt. Woops, my fail to read the bottem.

No big. Just shows your atleast trying to help. This is only my second brew and I have nothing to go by as far as a recipe im just relying on the wealth of knowledge I've absorbed in the past 3 months(and your help aswell) it came out with a pretty color I didn't expect. I'll post pics later. How long should chilling the wort taste though. I just dunk my boil pot in a tin wash tub filled with ice and water and it took 40 min to get to 90. How long should u take to cool wort as a rule of thumb if anyone knows?

With the ice bath method you're using, 40 minutes is pretty good, but keep in mind that you'll generally want to get down in the 65-70f range before pitching the yeast.

Faster chilling is always better, but try not to stress about it too much. There's plenty of time to get yourself more specialized chilling equipment later on after you have a few more batches under your belt :mug:.

40 - 60 min doing the ice bath method is about right. I did about 5 batches that way. I finally got a chiller for my birthday. 10 min flat and I was pitchin' yeast. I was most impressed!!! I was always kind of skeptical of the amount of water it would take to cool the wort. It honestly didn't take that much at all!.

My Irish Red should be ready today too. But I just don't feel like fooling with it honestly. I had a minor surgery Thursday and I just not 100%. If tomorrow is a good day pain wise I may bottle it up. I want to get it in the bottle. I dearly love a good Red Ale.

Change the water a few times. I get it cooled in 30 min/draining the water twice then last using a ice bath.Anything in an hour really is pretty good but an wortchiller is better i dont know if its really a big difference but a wortchiller shure is quick

I tried that but there were too many options on grains and extracts that my lil noob brain couldn't grasp so I said screw it. Im using wyeast yeast Irish red ale

You don't need to worry about the EXACT grains and extracts, but just to get a general idea of the ABV which you were looking for. Here I'll plug it in for you.

(these were exact ingredients as mentioned)
5 gal batch
OG should be around 1.053, FG 1.014 ABV 5.2%
SRM 7 (Gold to Copper) Irish moss will prob lean more to gold
IBU 22.1 not too bitter but will slightly notice it

I make a beer that is similar to what you are shooting for. Except that it is all grain. But thats not the point.

I we really enjoy centennial and cascade together. So I boil 1 oz of centennial for 60 min. and 1 oz of cascade for 15 min. and 0.5 oz of cascade for 5 min.

We really enjoy this hops schedule.

Mike

Brew_4iT said:
(these were exact ingredients as mentioned)
5 gal batch
OG should be around 1.053, FG 1.014 ABV 5.2%
SRM 7 (Gold to Copper) Irish moss will prob lean more to gold
IBU 22.1 not too bitter but will slightly notice it

Hey man I appreciate it. That's pretty much what I was looking for. And my og was 1.61 then added 1.25 gallons of water to the wort to get 5 gallons which dropped down the gravity to 1.51 so I'm feelin pretty confident things are gonna work out. Focusing on clarity now.

1Mainebrew said:
Did you boil for 90 mins with the pilsner? You may get DMS.

No I dumped my extract right before i started my 60 min boil. The container said Pilsen not pilsner. Is there not a difference?

MikeinCT said:
I make a beer that is similar to what you are shooting for. Except that it is all grain. But thats not the point.

I we really enjoy centennial and cascade together. So I boil 1 oz of centennial for 60 min. and 1 oz of cascade for 15 min. and 0.5 oz of cascade for 5 min.

We really enjoy this hops schedule.

Mike

O nice man. I was originally thinking of trying to attempt making my own recipe this time but quickly figured out I should try to make this pretty simple as it was only my second batch. Doing this without a recipe and just the ingredients was interesting enough for this time. I do love red ales and cascade did come up when I was researching for a recipe. I'm hoping to start all grain by the end of the year so I'll be trying to figure out the grain bill then. Unless u have any helpful tips ur willing to lend now.

Hoping it clears up well. Not as red as I had hoped for. Hydrometer sample taste good as far as I know. Thinking I will do 3 weeks primary. Rack into secondary and possibly add gelatin. Gotta research how it will affect the beer. And after a week or two in primary it will go to bottling. I think I'm just going to use priming caps as my last venture into boiling down honey for priming sugar( forgot to get corn sugar). Will update.

image-2709792857.jpg

image-3380239370.jpg

image-4211589561.jpg

image-706106202.jpg

Back