recommended bottle conditioning temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nixon

Reaction score
I fermented a honey ale at around 63 degrees both in the primary and secondary. I've seen recommendations for bottle conditioning at a minimum of 70 degrees. My question is why would it not condition at 63 if it fermented fine at that temp? Thanks!

Because ferment temps are usually too cool for carbonation/conditioning temps. 70F or a bit more is the temp needed to get the yeast in suspension in the bottles to eat the sugar solution that was added in the bottling bucket.

I just try to keep my condition temp as stable as possible. Usually between 65-68 has worked fine for me.

I'd think 63 would be a bit on the cold side and may lengthen your conditioning period due to what lower temps do to yeast (depending on type), but if 63 is what you got then give it a shot!

It would ferment, but really really slow compared to the bottles being above 70 degrees. The yeast become more active at those higher temps.

After reading this I am going to put all my conditioning ales (about 300 bottles at the moment!) next to my wood stove to bring them up above 70F. I think they are about 65F where they sit right now in my basement.

I second that.. I am going to move my 4 cases of bottles upstairs to let them condition "properly"

They have been conditioning for a week at around 63 as well, so I should do an additional 2 wks at 70 for proper conditioning?

I second that.. I am going to move my 4 cases of bottles upstairs to let them condition "properly"

They have been conditioning for a week at around 63 as well, so I should do an additional 2 wks at 70 for proper conditioning?

At least 3-4 weeks at 70 or until proper carbonation is achieved before cold conditioning them under refrigeration.

My 1.045OG dry stout is not carbonated at all at 14 days in bottles which tells me it's probably too cold this time of year for carbonation in my basement.

Yup. I had to move my boxed beers upstairs to the MB which is the warmest room in the house year round. But I still wound up buying a new bench capper to replace the red baron. I get a wiff of sweet malt when the room gets really warm. Seems like the caps are leaking under higher pressur in the head space,loosing carbonation.

What about warmer fermentation temps? I'm keeping the primary and secondary in the mid to upper 60s, but I don't have a way to keep the bottles at a stable 70 deg. Summer house temps rise to 80 during the day in Houston.

In my homebrewing I have fermented and carbed at about the same temp and in the same location. During cold weather months I use a closet in the warmest room in the house with louvered metal swing out doors. The temperature in the room runs anywhere from 70F to an occasional 74F. The closet can be 10F or more cooler if I keep the doors closed. So what I do is monitor the closet temp and adjust the door opening/closing to get a temp range I feel comfy with, usually about 68F on a thermometer. If it is too cold I open the doors a bit and if too warm close them. Crude but it seems to work.
In the warmer months I move both my fermenters and carbing beer to the basement. The basement runs approx 55F in winter (I really should try some lager) (P.S. I just ran downstairs to grab some bottles and restock the fridge....therm. is reading 48F on a table prob colder on floor..Lager for sure next winter about Nov/Dec thru March/April)
and never gets above about 65F-68F in the summer. Once the house temps start rising above 78F or so it is time to shift operations to the cooler basement.
I bottle in 1L PET bottles. I generally give them 2 weeks to carb. I can get an indication of what is going on by feeling the firmness of the bottles. Normally I can tell a diff in 1-2 days and after a week they are real firm. I usually give them a full 2 weeks where the bottles have never failed to be rock solid to the squeeze. Then I move the bottles to a cooler location in basement if it is cold weather, or just leave them there if warm weather time till can put a bunch in the fridge.
Right now for instance I have some already carbed sitting on the cold cement floor down there in the dark conditioning. From there to the fridge to my lips LOL

Important that the temp stays fairly constant, too, otherwise the expansion/contraction can cause bleeding off pressure and flat beer.

I'm in Florida, so I condition between 73F-78F. No bombs (yet) and good carbonation in 2-3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back