Recommendations: Stainless HTL and Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
Hi all,

The time has come to replace all of my plastic, so the Igloo coolers have to go. I'm reaching out for vendor recommendations, preferably options that won't require re-mortgaging the house (as much as I like the Blichmann gear). I do 5 gallon batches, but capacity to increase to 10 gallons would be desirable. My current set up is a HERMS.

HLT is currently electric fired (1,500W water heater element) hooked up to a temp probe, which would still be my preference over propane (ultimately the plan is to go 100% electric). HLT will need a heat exchanger / stainless steel coil with connectors. I have pumps, ranco's, etc., etc.

question 1 thru 8: whats your budget?
question 9: do you have the skills+tools to turn a keg into a kettle?
question 10: can you find sankey kegs in your area to use for kettles?

question 1 thru 8: whats your budget?
question 9: do you have the skills+tools to turn a keg into a kettle?
question 10: can you find sankey kegs in your area to use for kettles?

I hadn't considered a budget, but was expecting north of a 1,000 bucks, south of 2,000. I have the tools / can turn my hand to most things, except for welding, so I've been shying away from the keg conversion option.

Stout tanks has some equipment in your price range. I think when I was pricing it out for 10 -15 gallon batches I was between 1500-2000 dollars for a brew kettle, HLT and MLT. Obviously depending on what options.

Conical-fermenter.com

Or obviously using Keggles could be cheaper and more DIY if that's the route you wanted to go.

I hadn't considered a budget, but was expecting north of a 1,000 bucks, south of 2,000. I have the tools / can turn my hand to most things, except for welding, so I've been shying away from the keg conversion option.

$2000 for 3 kettles?? Talk to me or HoppyGuy before you drop that kind of money....

I'm confused. You're just looking to replace your HLT and MLT, do 5 gallons and possibly 10 gallons, don't want to buy the blichman because it's too expensive, but have 1,000 to 2,000 dollars to spend? Did I get that right?

3 Blichmans would be just north of a grand, the low end of your range, 2 would definitely be under a grand. What am I missing?? I mean, if you're looking to go cheaper, there are options out there...

Back