Recommendations for Munich Bar offering Most Variety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a bar in Munich that offers a wide variety of Bavarian beer brands?

I'll be visiting Munich for the first time and only have Sunday free to try as many unique local hefeweizen as possible. Unfortunately, from my initial investigation, it seems all the breweries are closed on Sundays and the beer gardens only serve a single brand of beer!

Anyone?

Well, things are different in Germany. They do not have the 50+ beers on tap approach as in other countries. My advice would be to go downtown (By the big clock) and you will find all of the biggies right in that area - Ayinger, Schneider, Augustiner, Franziskaner, Paulaner etc... The large breweries all have restaurants where they only serve their beer. I would avoid the HofBrau House as they are rude! Ayinger and Augustiner are my favorites. Google the locations and have one in each. Prost!

Last edited:
Well, things are different in Germany. They do not have the 50+ beers on tap approach as in other countries. My advice would be to go downtown (By the big clock) and you will find all of the biggies right in that area - Ayinger, Schneider, Augustiner, Franziskaner, Paulaner etc... The large breweries all have restaurants where they only serve their beer. I would avoid the HofBrau House as they are rude! Ayinger and Augustiner are my favorites. Google the locations and have one in each. Prost!

I believe you are talking about Marienplatz. That’s an excellent recommendation and time it when the glockenspiel runs - it’s pretty cool. But I’ve been to Hofbrau several times and always had a blast (although it’s a bit crowded).

I remember the first time in Munich, like a dumb American I asked the server what type of beer they had and she looked at me like I was a fool and just points to the glass with a “This kind, idiot” look on her face!

Back