Recommendation for a ph meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippo

Reaction score
I’m looking for recommendation for a relatively inexpensive ph meter that is going to be durable, easy to read, and have inexpensive and easily obtainable consumables, if there is such a need. I’m attempting to take my home brew to the next level after 25 batches, the last batch being my first AG. My third grade education is hindering my progression. This water chemistry is a bit daunting, to say the least. With the more time I’m spending researching this topic, things appear to make abit more sense, but I’m still lost. Even the primer had me spinning in circles…After spending a little time with the EZ Water Calculator I was able to seemingly make some corrections to my water report results/recipe intended to make, to get me within the proper ranges. Anyways, looking for advice for an easy to use ph meter that others have put thru the paces. Thanks!

I did a search for "ph meter" before posting and went thru about 6 pages without seeing advise or recommendation for any specific meters...other than strips.

At first I bought the cheapest pH meter I could find. About $18. It read into the tenths, with an accuracy plus or minus two tenths. Yeah...in my opinion, that was a waste of money. The pH meter could be reading 5.3, but with the accuracy factor, the pH could be anywhere from 5.1 to 5.5. And if the calibration was off a little bit the error could be worse. Not really accurate enough for brewing purposes. Reading the pH of a Star San bucket, sure, but not for mashing purposes.

So then I bought a significantly more expensive ($85) but much more accurate pH meter which read into the hundreths, and it was auto temp correcting and waterproof to boot. Accuracy was plus or minus .02. Could be calibrated with 4.0 or 7.0 solution. I'm very happy with it, and I feel much more confident in the readings.

Could be calibrated with 4.0 or 7.0 solution. I'm very happy with it, and I feel much more confident in the readings.

Many meters will allow calibration with one buffer or the other. When that is done the meter can calculate either slope or offset and does that depending on which buffer you choose but must then guess the other. You, therefore, must calibrate with both buffers.

The problem with inexpensive meters has always been stability one way or another. A new offering that I have tested for stability looks very promising in this regard and is the subject of the other thread I referred to. The much older Hanna pHEP meters are also stable - eventually, but blow this away by deciding when to take the calibration readings rather than letting you decide thus throwing off the calibration.

See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ph-meter-calibration-302256/#post3758422

Back