Recommend me a thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the features of the big boys without the expense.

CDN Digital Thermometer

41HgimWeoAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

NFI

+1 CDN works well.

You don't say exactly what you are going to do with it. Note that my CDN got fogged up in the lens from water getting into it, so obviously I'd not suggest letting get submerged.

Everyone seems to love the high priced Thermapen.

All the features of the big boys without the expense.

Or the accuracy.:D

I have 2 of those, both were off around 2f in the mash range. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just not good enough for my liking.

Thermapen, ftw. Or a calibrated lab thermometer can be had for $12-15, you can use it to check your cheap digital.

_

Ive been eyeing a thermapen lately, im just curious if I am checking a mash temp if I need something that will stick deeper into the mash

Ive been eyeing a thermapen lately, im just curious if I am checking a mash temp if I need something that will stick deeper into the mash

I have one and love it. I use a rectangular cooler so my mash depth isnt a deep as peopel who use a beverage cooler so ive had no issue with the probe length.

I even left it outside during a massive thunderstorm with sheets of rain and when i grabbed it the next day it still worked perfectly. very splash proof.

Note that my CDN got fogged up in the lens from water getting into it, so obviously I'd not suggest letting get submerged.
Hmmmm. Dropped mine in the mash once and in the boil once. No fogging problem.
I also always dunk the whole thing in Starsan before using it to check wort temperature while chilling.
They say it's waterproof, so if yours isn't, you can probably get it replaced.

. . . and accurate within half a degree when calibrated and checked at mash temperatures using a quality glass bulb lab thermometer.

DTQ450X – PROACCURATE® QUICK-READ® THERMOMETER

• Instrument Range: -40 to +450°F/-40 to +230°C
  • NSF® approved
  • 6-8 second response
  • 5"/12.7 cm stem with 2.5 mm reduced tip
  • Waterproof
  • Shatterproof
  • For thin cuts of meat, fish or poultry
  • Data-hold
  • Big digit
  • Stainless steel housing
  • Recalibratable
  • On/off button
  • Auto-off after 10 minutes
  • Temperature guide on sheath
  • Pocket clip
  • 1.5V Button IEC LR44 Alkaline

I keep coming back to the trusty lab thermometer....It's accurate and it stays that way...plus it's cheap and long enough so you don't burn your hand.

I have a CDN among some others and it's dead nuts accurate. I also have a traceable glass lab thermometer that I use as a benchmark standard for all of the others. My go to for the mash is this one:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9121045

The Cole-Parmer digital is also traceable and can be user calibrated if necessary. Economically priced at only $39.25 + shipping. It has proven to be rugged and reliable for a number of years now. No regrets at all.

I have a thermapen and it is one of the best pieces of brewing equipment I have. I also use it for bbq'ing and grilling which is also great because it works so well.

I read a lot of threads on this subject when I was in the market, and encountered a lot of sad stories about cheap thermometers. I bought the Thermapen. 'Nuff said.

Back