Recommend a good light ale recipe (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwiller

Reaction score
Long time brewer and looking for a good light ale recipe that is easy on calories for the SWMBO. Normally she is a craft beer mostly porter fan but the extra poundage from delivering our last offspring isn't coming off as fast now that we're in our 40's.

Not looking for using beano pseudo Mich Ultra stuff but a GOOD tasting ale (quick) with light flavor. Kinda thinking of something like:

70% 2 row
20% wheat
10% sugar
1.045ish

20IBU of sterling
WLP007 (house yeast)

Considering adding a tiny bit of coriander/grains of paradise for summer ale type thing.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Looks good. I've made some decent light ales like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, and an English Mild. I preferred the blonde. The mild was a darker beer and had a strange flavor combination. I most recently made a Scottish /70 with the same problem. Not a fan of the semi-dark flavor profile.

You could brew a Witbier with a bit less grain. Similar to your recipe above, but with 50/50 malt/wheat and drop the sugar.

Thanks. Wifey is not into the hops, but that Centennial Blonde would be a good candidate. Really wish she would do a saison/grisette but no dice. The yeast flavors are not her thing either. Tried to sell it hard too since she is of French descent... :D You are on the same page with me I am kinda aiming towards a wit sans the classic yeast.

Any advice on IBU's with such low OG? She is cool with 40 in her porter but it is 1.058. Maybe back down to 12-15?

That looks pretty good, I'd go for it. Maybe as a follow on brew try a Honey Kolsch:

4.25 lbs pilsner
3 lbs Global Kolsch malt
8 oz white wheat
5 oz carapils
8 oz honey added at flameout
1.047 OG, 1.009 FG

0.5 oz German Tradition, FWH
0.5 oz German Tradition, 60 minutes
1 oz Hersbrucker, 25 minutes
20-22 IBU

WY2565 Kolsch, 3 quart starter. Pitch at 54F, hold at 58, ferment for 1-1.5 weeks, slowly drop to 35F, add gelatin and lager for 3 weeks.

I have brewed this with slight modifications 5 times; this seems to be my final recipe. Still my favorite in the summer.

Thought about a Kolsch. Did a bunch in the day. Initially I became interested in them since they are ales thinking they would be a fast pils... Later I realized they need lagering. I might as well just make a pils then :D

Thank you for the detailed recipe writeup! Long overdue to try some with distilled water and acid malt. Never managed to get the hallmark floral/white wine esters to "pop" but made some good beer.

Yeah they do need lagering to drop the yeast. Still faster than making a Pils as they need 4-5 weeks to lager. I have yet to try a Pils that I liked more than a good Kolsch. Absolutely love that yeast flavor which is a tad subtle at 58F fermentation.

Back