Recirculating wort/mash. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomgnarkill

Reaction score
So I'm trying to understand recirculating wort/mash. I normally do a fly or batch sparge. How do you recirculate? Do you do it with batch sparge technic? Or can you fly sparge with recirculating? I'm just lost on this topic. Sorry and Thanks

Re-circulation happens some time after dough-in and before sparging - and the style of sparge doesn't matter.

A pump is required, and some heat source is needed (could be direct-fired MLT, could be a HEX coil in a HLT, could be a RIMS tube) to account for system thermal losses. Once dough-in has settled (I usually wait five minutes or so after underletting the grains with the strike water) you slowly start drawing off wort and send it around to a return line atop the mash. This continues until it's time to sparge, at which point whichever technique is used simply takes over...

Cheers!

Back