Recirc with biab stand and bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I recently switched from my brew basket to using my old wilser bag on my 20g electric system after I purchased a custom stand. My first attempt was last week with 10g of pale ale and it worked very well. This week I did a 5g high abv recipe for a wee heavy and I had big recirc issues. My new stand is really tight to my kettle but it seems like the bag was finding a way to get in that gap. At one point the bag could the edge of the stand and tore a new small hole. Note that this bag was made for a square cooler years ago so it wasn't custom to this kettle.

What do you guys with similar setups do when dealing with high grain bills / overly thick mash ratios? The 10g batch was very smooth so I think if I can figure out the trick for the 5g batches this will work out well.

I recently switched from my brew basket to using my old wilser bag on my 20g electric system after I purchased a custom stand. My first attempt was last week with 10g of pale ale and it worked very well. This week I did a 5g high abv recipe for a wee heavy and I had big recirc issues. My new stand is really tight to my kettle but it seems like the bag was finding a way to get in that gap. At one point the bag could the edge of the stand and tore a new small hole. Note that this bag was made for a square cooler years ago so it wasn't custom to this kettle.

What do you guys with similar setups do when dealing with high grain bills / overly thick mash ratios? The 10g batch was very smooth so I think if I can figure out the trick for the 5g batches this will work out well.

After cleaning up a bit I almost wonder if the sight glass was being blocked. But I'm not sure how to monitor a problem with the re-circ without using the sight glass. I do have a SS mash paddle so one possible fix would be to put that paddle between the bag and the sight glass port.

So is the bag getting caught and clogging up the recirculation flow into the sight glass or a ballvalvem going out? If so, how high up is that outlet? Can you find a way to hold up the bag above it? Clip it or tie it to the kettle?

Back