Recipe temp or yeast temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifidelity

Reaction score
I ordered the Baltic Porter kit from Northern Brewer and the instructions have me left perplexed. Do I ferment at what is said to be the optimal temp for the yeast, or do I ferment at what is said to be the optimal fermentation temp for the beer?

This is what the instructions say about the yeast:
"DRY YEAST (DEFAULT): Saflager S-23 Lager Yeast.
Optimum temp: 50–57° F"

And here's what the instructions say later on:
"The optimum fermentation temperature for this
beer is 60–72º F – move the fermenter to a warmer or
cooler spot as needed."

This will be my third batch, and I'm still pretty new. After my first two batches fermenting at temperatures that were slightly high and getting some off-flavors I went out and bought a chest freezer and temp controler (Johnson Controls) so I have the capability of either temp, I just gotta know which one. I tend to think I should go with the optimum temp for the yeast. I will be using a yeast starter.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Looks like you received the wrong yeast. S-23 is a lager yeast & would do better at lower temps.
I'd check w/ NB re a replacement yeast. S-05 might be a good sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You are brewing a lager, colder is better. If the yeast tells you its optimum temperature range, then that is the temp you use, otherwise you may get "off" flavors. 50-57* F is where you need to be. If it were me, I would chill my wort down to 50*, set your control for 55*, and call it good.

Per the NB website for this recipe...

"The use of lager yeast (ideally fermented around 65° F) leaves Baltic porters cleaner and less fruity than an Imperial stout or barley wine."

Ferment per the recipe and shoot for 65°. Looks like they are intentionally fermenting this lager yeast at ale temps.

Yooper has commented up to 65* F is good for this yeast. At this point, decide what temp you want to ferment at between 55-60* F. Good luck.

Back